It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SOS 2016 #2
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:28 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

As I said, I have taken 100+ pics at this years SOS, so a new thread of pics on my experience there.
The last, a set of markings on a pair of feldgrau pants, 10th artillery regt 4th Battery that were sold by John Kitts whose tables backed on to ours. They were in perfect condition and extremely rare!
Another set of markings for our list on an M95 which I bought.
Something for our Australian members. The author Jeff Knoll who wrote the reference book on Imperial regt markings is in the background. This set is owned by John Kitts and is for sale. Anyone who is interested, can PM me as I have John's contact info.
Unfortunately, John decided to wash the tunic years ago with a little bleach included......it turned the button hole thread yellow as you can see.

Post subject: Re: SOS 2016 #2
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Randy Trawnik seated (Age of Kings) and Tony Cowan:
Another shot of the helmets on AofK's table.
Mike Kelso holding up a beautiful Jaeger OYV tunic that he purchased.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:45 pm 
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor

Keep them coming those pics
that way us fellows oversees can have the feeling we where part of the sos :wink:

jonas

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:50 pm 

Thanks for posting. I must say this year's show flew by. I was having too much fun - or spending too much money. I can't figure out which! \:D/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:01 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Will do Jonas, I have lots more fotos to post. Peter had some very interesting items for sale including a selection of primitive wooden clubs from Africa and the Pacific area. I should have taken your picture Pete in front of your tables.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:05 am 
Special Ranks Member
Special Ranks Member

That's what I'm talking about !

When I go to a big show, I feel like a kid in a candy store. :headbang:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:14 am 
Special Ranks Member
Special Ranks Member

Looking at the pictures, it feels like I missed something again. I have to come to the SOS next year :-" ...

Thanks for the pictures!

Adler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:39 am 

Adler wrote:
Looking at the pictures, it feels like I missed something again. I have to come to the SOS next year :-" ...

Thanks for the pictures!

Adler

It would be an honor to meet you! :bravo: Be careful though, Gus is a little strange.

the facts that are interesting in history, but the questions and their
answers - and these can never be fixed.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:52 pm 

joerookery wrote:
Adler wrote:

Thanks for the pictures!

Adler

It would be an honor to meet you! :bravo: Be careful though, Gus is a little strange.

But Dave is really strange, he makes me look normal (ish)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:07 pm 
Elite Member
Elite Member

One could easily (and happily) empty a bank account at the show! Thanks for posting photos :)

:D Ron

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:14 pm 

Thoughts on the show - including a few friends from here:
http://www.militarytrader.com/military- ... -than-ever

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:00 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks to everybody for the photos so far and to Peter for the article.

A question -is some sort of guide or catalogue available to give some idea of where sellers are located and a broad description of the sort of stuff they're selling e.g. type of militaria, country and era, or do prospective buyers have no option other than to traipse for hours up and down the aisles in order to find the sort of items they're looking for?

Patrick

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:13 pm 

chinstrap wrote:
Thanks to everybody for the photos so far and to Peter for the article.

A question -is some sort of guide or catalogue available to give some idea of where sellers are located and a broad description of the sort of stuff they're selling e.g. type of militaria, country and era, or do prospective buyers have no option other than to traipse for hours up and down the aisles in order to find the sort of items they're looking for?

Patrick

Wear comfortable shoes and get a program when you come in, there is a map in the program with an alphabetical listing of the vendors and their specialty, but it would take days to go through it. It is better to take a orderly pattern and work through the whole show as some of the best buys are from vendors who do not specialize in what you are looking for. And all the other stuff can be really interesting too, other that stuff with swastikas, if I see one table of that stuff it is more than enough. OH, and if you see something you might want to come back for later, you had better make a note in the map where it is as it is nearly impossible to remember where things are after you have been up and down a few aisles.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:38 am 

chinstrap wrote:

There is a show guide, but honestly I just head out and walk and walk and walk some more. I probably saw new stuff on Saturday that I somehow missed days earlier.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:48 am 

Peter_Suciu wrote:
chinstrap wrote:

There is a show guide, but honestly I just head out and walk and walk and walk some more. I probably saw new stuff on Saturday that I somehow missed days earlier.

Things change on the tables over the few days of the show, as things sell, more is put out, and vendors are always looking for the bargains and then putting them on their table. I find that the best thing is to know who you want to deal with before you go (not easy for every one) but I am lucky (or is it unlucky) that one seller always has many very special things that I need, the hardest part is deciding what to get and what o leave. Normally, I would do a bit of browsing on my way to his table, but since he is now back to back with us, I do not even need to leave the table.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:24 pm 

Gustaf wrote:
Things change on the tables over the few days of the show, as things sell, more is put out, and vendors are always looking for the bargains and then putting them on their table.

That was the case with my tables. I didn't have enough room for everything I brought but as stuff sold I pulled out more stuff. Plus I bought stuff that went on the table. A funny item was a Vietnam Era pouch with three deactivated RPG rounds. I traded my friend Ed for it and he had brought it to SOS for two years I believe. It never sold. I owned it for two hours and it sold.

Show of Shows "evolves" as the show goes on. I've seen items bounce from table to table, and I've seen dealer tables that look almost completely different by the end of the show as they sell stuff. I know I re-organized my table several times. I had a pair of trench boots that got zero notice on Thursday but by Friday I had several lookers and the pair sold.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:38 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Steve McFarland holding a beautiful JzP mutze.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:08 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

MORE: Image

A complete filz helme in excellent condition.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:36 pm 
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor

those are nice pieces
nice ersatz also, one that was not a mixmax, like those that sometimes pop up

jonas

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:21 am 

Hello Thanks for sharing all these pictures
I see here and there a few pieces of French militaria
Did you see any 1st Empire Napoleonic pieces for example headgear?

Brgds

JM

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:04 am 

michmuch wrote:
I see here and there a few pieces of French militaria
Did you see any 1st Empire Napoleonic pieces for example headgear?

I've seen Second Empire over the years, but mostly the French militaria in the U.S. is Third Republic or later. Show of Shows is a great militaria show, but it probably isn't the right show for First Empire.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:00 am 

Great photos. And bank account safely intact!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:41 am 

Thanks to all of our Pickelhaubes.com friends who attended - it wouldn't be SOS without you!

I did not get nearly as much opportunity to shop as I would have liked, doing AGM and OVMS stuff.. mostly the latter, so looking through photos posted on the forums and those taken by our official photographer is actually a bit frustrating. "Hey - I never saw that, and I would have bought that!!!" is the refrain.

For those who did not attend, if you browse the major militaria discussion forums you will note that depending on one's particular area of interest, it almost appears that everybody went to completely different shows. Peter's photos in his article are very specific to his personal interests, the W-A guys posted pages and pages of hakenkreuz gee-gaws, the US Militaria Forum guys saw patches cast upon an endless sea of khaki and olive drab, and the helmet forum guys focused in on all of the painted M1 helmets that were bobbing about in those same waters. The ASMIC guys tempted tetanus once more in bin after bin of special pinback man jewelry, while the Orders & Medals folks were distracted mostly by larger jewelry with colorful ribbons.

With over 166,500 square feet of militaria that is (as previously pointed out) constantly evolving over the course of the show, if you don't find something you want, you're just simply not trying.

The very best part, though, is the warm fellowship of good friends, old and new. I didn't get to spend as much time visiting with you all as I would have liked, but enjoyed every minute that was available. You all are very sincerely appreciated!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:46 am 

Hey Jeff, I agree and I think that photos of the show should be banned as I always see things that I missed during the show and really want them now that it is too late. But the best part of the show is the camaraderie. We still laugh about how fast a certain "Antiques Road Show" appraiser pulled out his felt tip pen to give James Lebrasseur's Wife, Lori an autograph. She would turn red for the next day and a half every time that was mentioned.
I can't wait for next year,

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:48 am 

OHHH! maybe we can get Lori to post a photo of her autograph!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:26 am 

Jeff Shrader wrote:
For those who did not attend, if you browse the major militaria discussion forums you will note that depending on one's particular area of interest, it almost appears that everybody went to completely different shows. Peter's photos in his article are very specific to his personal interests, the W-A guys posted pages and pages of hakenkreuz gee-gaws, the US Militaria Forum guys saw patches cast upon an endless sea of khaki and olive drab, and the helmet forum guys focused in on all of the painted M1 helmets that were bobbing about in those same waters. The ASMIC guys tempted tetanus once more in bin after bin of special pinback man jewelry, while the Orders & Medals folks were distracted mostly by larger jewelry with colorful ribbons.

Jeff--
I couldn't agree more that the show looks entirely differently based on the forum. As a reporter I tried to take different photos, but I probably do get drawn to what I think is really cool but in fairness I did send my editor around 90 photos and he used a dozen. So it could be the personal interests of John Adams-Graf based on what I supplied him! :D
PS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:15 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The main theme of my photo taking which is probably obvious, was imperial items, primarily hauben but also shoulder straps and other related items. There are still more pics to come. Thanks for your comments Jeff, great to have met you.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:33 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I thought this Russian shako was extremely beautiful! Perhaps Sergei or Leone can identify it for us.

Some additional SOS "hardware":

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:55 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

John Kitt's tables backed on to ours. He had some very nice pieces for sale. This WW1 CEF "set" was one of the few that I saw at the SOS.
From the back side.... The bayonet from the infamous "Ross Rifle" can clearly be seen. The leather shoulder yoke which is part of the equipment harness is a reproduction. This particular piece of gear is extremely rare even in Canada, while the square leather pouches are fairly common at shows.
The CN winter forage cap being worn is also a rare piece of CEF headdress.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:52 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

b.loree wrote:
I thought this Russian shako was extremely beautiful! Perhaps Sergei or Leone can identify it for us.

WOW!
I guess the same here is. What prise was on the SOS?

http://leibstandart.com/military/2833/40779/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:20 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for the ID link Leone. Sorry, I do not have a price. The dealer who had it had mostly Russian items on his table so he would know the value and it would be in $US.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:03 pm 
Elite Member
Elite Member

Thanks for posting more photos!

Jeff, I had to look up 'gee-gaw' and enjoyed the definition I found:

"gew·gaw (variation of gee-gaw)
ˈɡyo͞oɡô/
noun
noun: geegaw

a showy thing, especially one that is useless or worthless."

I suppose to people outside of our area of interest, we all collect gee-gaws of one kind or another. For me, a gee-gaw would be baseball cards, or old footballs, but I have a co-worker who loves the stuff.

:D Ron

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:47 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I would rate a woman's nose ring as such. :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:39 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Belated thanks to everybody who took the trouble to explain how they go about viewing the show. Sounds like hard work, but enjoyable if you have friends there to share the experience with.

Patrick

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You are welcome Patrick. The SOS is exciting but also a bit of a grind. The floor is poured concrete so by the end of the day even if you have no health problems, your feet and back ache. Your eyes dry out from the harsh lighting and walking up and down all the rows, scanning every table for militaria treasure! You have to have friends sharing your tables so you can take a break and then they can go out for a look. It is very cool though and we all get together for supper and spend time talking hauben, drinking beer and wine after that. Most of us only see each other once a year, so it is great to spend 3 days together. The wives get together also and have a great time outside of the show. It is a very positive experience.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:39 pm 
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor

Great pictures very impressive items.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:25 am 
Contributor
Contributor

[quote="b.loree"]I thought this Russian shako was extremely beautiful! Perhaps Sergei or Leone can identify it for us.

Shako General - balloonist (pilot), or a military engineer in 1909 sample
very similar to the original