It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ulan Regt. 1,2,3 Officer Tschapka
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:11 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

UR's 1,2,3 officers wore this style of wappen on their tschapka. The "before" pictures:

The right chin scale although wired together does have all of it's scales but one. The left however, is missing the last, 3. Both are going to have to be rebuilt and hopefully, I can provide the missing pieces.

Image The shell is rippled and frankly, I have no clue as to whether I can fix this. I believe this piece was made to be light weight on the head so the thin leather has ended up in this condition after 100+ years.

The liner showing the Graf Crown and cypher which seems to be an "E" to my eyes has to be restitched.

Hopefully, some of our European members can provide some additional information on this cypher.

Post subject: Re: Ulan Regt. 1,2,3 Officer Tschapka
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:00 am 
Special Ranks Member
Special Ranks Member

Very nice tschapska!
Whell worth a restoration.
Al I can say about the crown and cypher, it that it is indeed a nobility crown. But to me it seems to miss a cypher (letter).
The way the one is positioned and the shadow you get to see right of the cypher in place...looks like a "J".
There is a forum specialized in nobility research, but they are French;http://forum.tempsdesherauts.com/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:43 pm 

Very nice project Brian, The construction looks a little different than the one you restored for me. Is it a different material? Look forward to watching the project progress. I did see the other day an officers field badge, if I recall where, I will let you know.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:36 pm 
Lite Contributor
Lite Contributor

All the best for your project, Brian :thumb up:
Unfortunately I can't help a lot, only with the Stiching...
The Crown has 7 Balls on top of the Peaks and this stands for a modern Baron-Crown (in German: Moderne Freiherren-Krone).
Concerning the Cypher I'm in line with "stuka f", the existing one seems to be an "E". It's off-center position together with the discoloration looks like a missing "I" or "J". But the Monograms have been very ornate sometimes, it's hard to say it exactly.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:18 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for your comments everyone. We now know that the type of Crown indicates "newer nobility" rather than an old noble family. I have no clue as to which letter this cypher represents...could be but I do see now the shadow of the J missing letter. You can also tell that there is something missing by the fact that the remaining letter is not centered on the crown. There were 2 initials.
Yes Scout, this is a different construction, we have 4 segments stitched together to form the shell and stem for the mortarboard top. I can see from the inside that the top is cardboard covered by thin leather. i will be taking the cloth liner out and will post some interior shots as well. More photos to come.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:33 am 
Lite Contributor
Lite Contributor

One more thing...The "Modern Baron Crown" does not necessarily belong to the newer nobility. But the type of the Crown changed in the end of the 18.th century. This crown could also be one for the old nobility.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:53 am 
Special Ranks Member
Special Ranks Member

Nice project and good luck :)

Regards,

Edwin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:22 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Do the bumps come out on the interior ?

Is the skull leather 2 layers like the front bill ?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:16 am 
Special Ranks Member
Special Ranks Member

I asked myself the same question. Outer layer or the complete shell that is bumped? What is the material-all leather or leather covered? Like this Tschapka!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:00 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Regarding the cypher....The owner restitched it in the wrong position, it was hanging by one original thread loop. I will fix this and post pics once I have the liner stitched back on to the sweatband. I really hope that we can ID the original owner of this helmet.
A picture of the wappen now that it has been cleaned:
My next task is to rebuild the chin scales and I will post photos of this soon.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:11 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ok, let's take a look at the "before" pictures of the chin scales on this lovely old mistreated piece of History. It is a survivor but certainly bears the wounds of a hard life over the century!

One of the scales, is mostly complete but the "male side", is missing numerous scales including the all important end piece which links the 2 halves together. This picture, shows the scales plus replacements which were given to me by Randy T, last SOS.
Typically, the end fitting and the next 2-3 smaller scales are the ones missing in any chin strap rebuild. However, it can go much further up the scale depending on what the helmet has experienced. I will be renewing the pictures in my old post "Anatomy of a Chin Scale" shortly....rebuilding one is not an easy process, at least not for me. My restoration mentor, the late George Birringer was a master at it and I am trying to follow in his footsteps.

Here, we see the condition of the reverse side of the female scale (both scales actually). The leather backing is disintegrating to dust due to red rot. There is evidence here, that at least 2 collectors tried to fix the scales in the past...one tried coarse white cotton thread and glued new leather to the backing and then another collector, employed fine wire to try and reinforce the scales. There is at least one handmade 3 prong scale replacement which can be seen on the upper male scale (#5 from the end fitting). We modern day collectors have to realise, that these guys had no access to a world wide web of fellow hauben collectors who might provide parts for restoration.

Here, I am in the midst of of removing each scale starting with the largest one where the kokarden and bosses go through. Things are so rotten than all the backing disintegrates and breaks up. A dirty job!
The card board seen in the picture is my template for cutting out the backing leather for the chin scales.

Each scale has been removed and numbered. All staples are preserved, because they are specially designed for this application. Sometimes, they break due to rust and then you have to use a modern one but if at all possible you keep the originals.

The last photo in this series...eh?.. is a tribute to the Great White North and it's excellent beer industry! Everytime, I go to the SOS and we have our apres show gatherings, my American friends tend to order/bring "light" beers"....ugh!!! Then some do order bourbon ??? So my friends, where do these cardboard strips come from and how are they being used in this chin scale rebuild?? To be continued...eh? :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:55 pm 
Lite Contributor
Lite Contributor

Brian,

Best guess on the owner, the crown with seven tines over the gothic "E", would be
Oblt Freiherr von Entress-Fuersteneck, Uhlan Regt. 3.

Dennis

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:47 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thank you Denis, I tend to think that it is an "E" as well and I guess your ID makes total sense. I haven't messed with the cypher yet other than to take out the cloth liner which needed to be restitched.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:50 pm 
Lite Contributor
Lite Contributor

Brian,

Maybe a fellow member has a copy of the UR3 Regimental History, and can find a photo of
von Entress-Furestenenck?

It would be nice to display with the helmet!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes Denis...that would be very cool, if someone could provide an image of the original owner. I could not see a Duke not having pictures taken of himself.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:57 am 
Contributor
Contributor

This is coming along very nicely . :D :D :D

Are the indentations on the skull through to the other side ?

Is the skull made of 2 different layers of leather like the front bill ?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:51 am 
Contributor
Contributor

This is good to go. I am following this rebuild with interest. I have a couple of rotting chin scale sets that need rebuilding. Thank you Brian for doing this.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:53 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Matthew, the dents do show on the inside of the shell. i don't think we are dealing with 2 layers just one thin one stitched together in sections. I believe, this was done to decrease the weight of the cap. I will post interior shots of the shell soon and we can discuss further. I have to finish the scales which are giving me a bit of trouble. Next, I will remove the front visor which needs a restitch. It is then that I will try to get the dents out of the shell. This will involve wetting the areas and trying to push them out and allow to dry back in proper position. The visor also has a split in the thin leather which folds over and is stitched to the shell. This area is directly below where the wappen tail feathers are.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:41 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I finally finished the female chin scale last night.

What I have been trying to do, is cut and punch card board templates which I can use for any rebuild. The length of a chin scale varies. So far, I have encountered 14, 15, 16, 17 scales plus end fittings. It seems simple, but as with anything "Hauben" it is not . The size of the scales (L &W) is different depending on manufacture. On this complete scale alone, it took me 3 tries before I got a correct new backing strip for the scales. It would be natural for any observer to suggest....why not use the old centre strip as your template to make a new one?? The answer in this and in most cases, is that the staple strip has broken or rotted away so you can't use it. I think my real problem here, is that I do not have a brain for Mathematics :( . I am a Realist not a Romantic, I have played in Rock Bands for 50 years, so I can handle the simple counting which is part of all music and scale rebuild! I taught History for 35 years which is an abstract social science and involves heavy Psychology in manipulating adolescents. However, in chin scale rebuilds,.......argh!! I get it done but can not establish an easy "modern" way of doing it. :eek: I think, the realist has to suck it up and "realize" that this is the way it is. There is no definite answer here .

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:30 pm 

Brian- I take exception to your comment on light Beer we drink down here.

Every year I ask if you brought any Molson Brador or any other Canadian beer, and all you ever have to show for it is Walmart wine....

Put your money where your mouth is and bring down some good stuff for us to consume :P

Brian knows I am kidding so need for anyone to get feathers ruffled.

James

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:49 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Brian, you used to have a thread that was something like "the anatomy of a chin scale", or something like that. You had a step by step breakdown on rebuilding these scales and you talked about using the fingers from little old lady gloves you would find at antique stores for cheap.

Is that thread still out there? It was pretty comprehensive, but I assume that the pics were lost during the PB mess.

Any chance you could do a step-by-step on the male chinstrap? A "lessons learned" type part of this thread?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:06 pm 
Lite Contributor
Lite Contributor

Brian,

Oberleutnant Freiherr von Entreß-Fuersteneck, taken around 1900.

Also, beautiful work on the scale! I had to make & replace a couple scales that were missing from a kurass a while ago, but I used Labatt's for the template.
It turned out ok...maybe I should have used Moosehead?

Dennis

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:41 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

James, they don't make that beer anymore unfortunately, it was causing too many DUY's even for us Canucks. At 8% it was jet fuel! What I will do, is bring down some Labatt's 50 or "Cinquante" as the Quebecois call it. This brew will bring you back to your true roots which as you know are based in Quebec. It also produces severe flatulence but that is all part of the experience! :thumb up: Denis, that picture is fantastic, well done!! Thank you. Bryan there is a post made long ago called anatomy of a chin scale but of course the pictures are gone. I have taken a series of pics of the recent rebuild and will post them shortly here in the Restoration section. I also sent you a PM asking you to contact me via email so that I could give you some additional information. My email is available in the Help section or check out your Private Messages.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:00 pm 

Dennis: Thank you for your research on this helmet. I have been following this restoration closely as it is my helmet and I was recommended to send it to Brian by another member for restoration after I posted pictures of it in the latest find section. It is my first Tschapka and I kind of stumbled into it. When I acquired it, the cypher was actually inverted per the attached picture. It was only being held by one stitch at the lower right part of the cypher and because I was afraid it might come loose in shipping and I was in a hurry, I affixed it with a new stitch but accidentally inverted it into the position that makes it look like a gothic E. Based on the patina and positioning of the cypher in my initial picture I feel this is actually a gothic D or possibly some other gothic letter. Do you or anyone else have any thoughts on this and who might the owner be if it is a gothic D?
Thank you, Rodney

It looks like I can't post pictures. Sorry

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:02 pm 
Lite Contributor
Lite Contributor

Hi Rodney,

I've switched to Picorator since the Photobucket debacle. (Take a look at Site Information: How to Post Photographs). Photobucket essentially wiped out all the photos on the site posted by people using their service.

If you have a photo of the cypher in the correct position it would help me decipher it...no pun intended. I'm not sure it's a "D", but I'll see what I can find.

Dennis

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:40 pm 

Hi Dennis: I hope this works. This is the way the cypher wasbefore I hastily re-sewed it on. I will go with whatever you say but if you look at the surface patina which matches on both crown and cypher, the centered alignment and the dirt or shadow marks behind the cypher this way, it is the way is was and has been for all the times I looked at it before I acquired it.

Thanks, Rodney

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:07 pm 
Lite Contributor
Lite Contributor

Hi Rodney,

Thanks for posting the photo. It's a bit of a quandary though, it appears to be, in my humble opinion, a gothic "I", (unless the cypher was broken at some point). I've checked the ranglists I have, and no officer, more specifically a "Freiherr" with that initial listed in UR 1,2 or 3. One caveat, I only have the 1913, 14 and 1926 references.

Perhaps another member can help out?

Dennis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:42 am 

I know very little about Gothic letters but having just Googled Gothic I, I would now agree that that is what it looks like. I don't think it is broken. Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:43 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Completed the second scale yesterday. The task gets a bit more difficult when you are replacing missing scales with new original ones. However, this part of the job is done. I will next remove the visor from the shell and begin to try and take out those wrinkles. Having the visor off, will make this easier. More photos to come.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:51 pm 
Lite Contributor
Lite Contributor

Well, they certainly look good.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:41 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

So now we begin the hardest part of this restoration....trying to solve the problems with the shell. I took the front visor off yesterday. These are the "before " pictures and hopefully down the road things will look much better. I doubt very much, that pictures like these have ever been posted on the internet.
You can see how unique the stitching is both for the visor and sweatband. The way the sweatband is cut out is also unique and I will post pics once I have better light conditions.

The visor stitching on this tschapka is slightly different than the last officer one I did for Scout17. There are more stitches.

The front visor has obvious problems and these must be dealt with before restitching. Officer tschapka visors, have 3 layers...first a very thin finished leather outer layer, next a thin stiff cardboard or leather middle part and then a painted cloth layer on the inner side of the visor. It is the 2 cloth and thin leather layers that are folded over and stitched to the shell. You could not achieve a smooth fold where visor meets the shell, if you tried to do the cardboard as well. As to the cloth, it could be either coarse cotton or linen. My choice, would be linen as it is stronger than cotton. In this piece, the thin outer leather has split and given way, not the linen cloth. Obviously, even when these helmets were new, there was a lot of stress on this stitch line when the owner took off his hat and set it down on something. The visor bore much of the weight because it stuck out from the shell.

This photo shows the 3 layers I talked about....thin leather glued to stiff cardboard/leather then cloth on the inside. The classic" tschapka visor fold" involves only the thin outer leather and cloth on the inside. I have only restitched one Ordinary Ranks tschapka visor. In this case, the middle layer of leather was thicker, and the inside layer was black paper not linen.
Trying to explain this Tschapka construction, even with the aid of photos has been difficult. I hope that everyone can understand what I have tried to describe.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:29 am 
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor

Your explanation is clear and well presented. Can't wait for your next installment. I truly enjoy the restoration write ups.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:37 pm 
Contributor
Contributor

This part on the front brim restoration is pretty interesting to me.

I had to figure the construction on one of these brims once for an enlisted tschapka where the guy had taken a bullet in the brain bucket. Entry and exit holes and staining/rot in the back of the interior from brain fluid. The leather part of the brim had been ripped completely off from the kinetic energy from the bullet on the front leaving only the brass trim, so I ended up making a new brim.

Kind of a cool helmet. The Frenchman/Brit who brought it back as an obvious souvenir had painted an arrow on the front and back showing the entry/exit holes. Fortunately, the shock of the impact had obviously torn this tschapka off of the previous owners head fairly quickly, so the body fluids had not messed up too much of the inside.

A buddy let me look at a similar tschapka from his collection, and the construction and unique stitching on these brims became evident and helped a LOT when I was working up my plan on how to tackle this. I probably took about 6 months before I had everything in place and had worked up the courage to knock this out. Measure twice/cut once, and all that. I wish I had this thread to reference when I did my work. I will take some pics of what I did and post once I get back to the States next year.

I am watching daily for updates, and appreciate the time you are dedicating to this Brian. Thank you again for taking the time from your busy schedule to educate us.

S/F

Bryan.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:48 am 
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor

saywhat wrote:

Hi,

I think we definitly have here a "I" or "J". They were the same in the german alphabet.

A "D" would be thicker (or fatter)...

In the Ehrenranglisten 1902, 1907, 1911 and 1913, there were a few officers with a "J".

UR1: Oberleutnant JOUANNE
UR2: Rittmeister JOUANNE (maybe two brothers), Leutnant JACOB
UR3: Leutnant von JAGOW and Oberleutnant von JAGOW (maybe two brothers two)

I think the two von JAGOW could be the answer (because of the "von" and the crown)

Philippe
:wink:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:18 am 
Lite Contributor
Lite Contributor

Quote:
I think we definitly have here a "I" or "J". They were the same in the german alphabet.

I think it is always hard to identify the cyphers without knowing which font was used. I found many different styles of „Fraktura“-Fonts which are close to this one in the helmet and also to this one Philippe showed. But most of it have a sligthly difference for „I“ and „J“.
Sometimes the difference is the short left orientated horinzontal line in the middle of the cypher or how many of these lines are shown.
In other cases the difference is if bottomline turns up or down, or the way the upper line looks alike (Example 5).
Hard to identify without another cypher is if the vertical Line of the „J“ is a bit longer than the line of the „I“ (Example 3).

For me it looks pretty much like the „I“ of example 5 8-[

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:47 am 
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor

Sandy,

Just look at the "Namensverzeichnis" at the end of each Ehrenrangliste. All officers with name beginning with "I" or "J" are registered under the same gothic letter.
However, there is no other active officer at the UR1,2 and 3 with name beginning with this special letter as the 5 officers named above :wink:

Philippe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:09 pm 
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor

J is the last letter to enter the Latin alphabet, coming in some time in the mid 18th century. Prior to that the J was a secondary sound for the letter 'I". In English we still have this sound, as in the word soldier (sold-jer). Julius Caesar's initials were IC.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:17 pm 
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor

aicusv wrote:
Julius Caesar's initials were IC.

Yes, same logic as "INRI": Iesus Nazarenus Rex Iudaeorum

Philippe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:29 pm 
Lite Contributor
Lite Contributor

Quote:
Just look at the "Namensverzeichnis" at the end of each Ehrenrangliste

Thank you for the tipp. Do you know where I can find this list for all years? I only found a prussian one from 1879, the rest is blocked in Google-Books :(

Quote:
J is the last letter to enter the Latin alphabet, coming in some time in the mid 18th century. Prior to that the J was a secondary sound for the letter 'I".

Thank you for explanation. I knew that the german fonts used different smal letters for i and j since a long time. The missing difference for capital letters until 19th century was very interesing for me :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:02 pm 
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor

Why no J in ancient times? It is hard to carve the hook of a J with a hammer and chisel into marble. :D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:06 am 
Lite Contributor
Lite Contributor

:D For other letters like „s“ we used to have different writing styles in old german Fonts, and we love to have rules and differentiations for nearly everything. I also don‘t know how we could live without it for so long time and didn‘t get sick :D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:05 am 
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor

Sandmann wrote:
Quote:
Just look at the "Namensverzeichnis" at the end of each Ehrenrangliste

Thank you for the tipp. Do you know where I can find this list for all years? I only found a prussian one from 1879, the rest is blocked in Google-Books :(

A list for all years is not existing....Each year a book....
You can sometimes find those books on ebay.de
A normal price is between 15-25 EURO. That´s what I have paid for each of my 5 books. You have to wait for such an auction. Here is one:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/320-Rangliste-de ... Swa8dZwlid

But there are some more expensive "buy it now" auctions.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Rangliste-Preuss ... Sw241YWQ17

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Rangliste-der-Ko ... SwOdpXwvMB

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Rangliste-der-Ko ... Sw-kdX1DuS

Philippe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:34 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well the quest to determine exactly which "Gothic" letter we are dealing with here continues. Here are some pics of a period German Elementary School primer which illustrates the letters of the alphabet. My thanks to Scout17 for this. To me our cypher appears to be a Gothic capital "D".

The Gothic I and J are the same but are not closed in like our cypher. The horizontal and vertical parts of the Gothic D touch as does our Cypher.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:43 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

An update regarding the wrinkle problem on this piece. I have to admit defeat on this issue for the first time.... :( This helmet is made up of 2 thin layers of leather stitched together in sections. I have tried 2 methods both involving wetting the leather with water...clamping and second pushing the dents out over a hair dryer with my fingers. No success to limited success!! One is also limited as to how many times you can wet thin 100 year old leather. Why has this post taken a significant length of time? With difficult or new challenges I often have to just keep looking at the problem and thinking about it for several weeks before taking action. As I tell my customers..... the helmet took 100+ years of abuse in order to be in this condition and we have to be patient when taking action to "turn back time" and improve things. There will be further posts and pictures concerning this tschapka. Believe me gentlemen, I do not enjoy the taste of defeat.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:50 am 
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Brian,

Have you thought about supporting the crown with the mortar board hanging free, wetting the leather, inserting a plastic bag into the shell, and filling the bag with hot silica sand warmed to a specific temperature from your stove? Seems like that might work and slowly allow the heat and moisture to slowly push the form back into shape. Remove bag of sand, reheat and reapply as needed.

If worried about the outer shell splitting, perhaps form a cofferdam made out of plaster of Paris form to support the whole thing from the outside? Make it like Tony showed with his plaster cast helmet shells for displaying helmet covers, but split the back of the casting and support the entire thing with duct tape around the outside to firm it up.

That's what I would try; it would press the entire thing in between a formed and a flexible solid which would allow you to control the temperature and weight while it slowly pushes back to true.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:20 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I really appreciate your suggestion Ryan and that might work. However, I can't chance wetting the inside of the shell anymore.The stem of the mortar board is actually partially glued to the top of the shell. If you look at the inside pictures you can see a ring of very fine leather at the top of the shell....glued on with hide glue. My two attempts at wetting things on this piece have not helped whatsoever.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:13 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Preparing to stitch the front visor on this piece. However, the visor itself has to be prepped before stitching can be done. You may have noted that sections of the very thin leather outer layer are either missing or cracked and loose. These have to be glued into position and a split in the inner linen layer has to be patched with a small piece of linen cloth. Visor trim has been cleaned.
The linen patch was glued on the underside of the cloth fold so that it can not be seen. These paper clips come in very handy as clamping devices in restoration. The pieces of thin fold leather were glued on and a thin application of shellac was added to the cracks.

The area as it looked prior to being restored, you can see the cracked thin leather and missing pieces. Without the linen backing, this visor could not be restitched.

The leather pieces which had to be glued back into position....tweezers come in handy for this.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:08 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

As promised, I completed the restitch of the visor with the help of my wife Caron today. She helped on the last tschapka officer visor restitch and it truly is a 2 person job because of how it has to be done in modern times. Originally, as I have said, the linen and leather were stitched vertically to the shell and then folded down to give that typical tschapka visor rounded edge with hidden stitch line. Obviously, we can't do that so this is how it has to be done:
This is the only method that I can think of and it places a lot of stress on that thin fold strip of leather and linen as you can see. This why I spent yesterday gluing linen patches on that cloth strip.

We almost have the visor restitched in this pic and are about to begin tightening up the thread starting from to side we began with. You have to heavily wax your thread before you begin because in the end, you are using it to pull the visor to the shell and tighten everything up as it was originally.
Finished.
I have not put the 2 trim split brads in yet. I was just happy that we got this done without the thread breaking as it was pulled through the shell and thin visor strip. This is not an easy restoration.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:36 pm 
Lite Contributor
Lite Contributor

You obviously have infinite patience and a great deal of skill. Fantastic job. I'm sure that your wife's assistance was invaluable.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:59 am 
Special Ranks Member
Special Ranks Member

Great job! This looks like neurosurgery !!!
Francis