It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Two Pickelhaubes
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:02 pm 

Hello! I am a WWII collector that is beginning to collect WWI items. I got these two pickelhaubes last weekend at a auction. One I think is a Garde officer and while the other is infantry. They are in worn shape but as long as they are original I don't mind. I do think I see some small repairs on the officer's helmet. I'd love to hear your opinions on them, thank you! Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Post subject: Re: Two Pickelhaubes
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:07 pm 

Second Pickehaulbe... Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:23 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome. The first helmet is a wartime Prussian Guard officer helmet. It was produced during the war as the fittings are made of zinc which was originally covered with a gold coloured wash which made them look like prewar brass. The Germans did the same in WW2...."pot metal". The helmet plate looks like it might be pre war quality and not zinc. The plate is missing the Guard star which is attached through those slots.
The second helmet is a model 1915 Prussian infantry helmet. Theses are the most common pieces in our pickelhaube world.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:50 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Some other details.....On the officer helmet you can see a mixture of brass bits along with the zinc and this is typical for these wartime models. For example the pearl ring around the neck of the spike seems to be brass, the stars look to be brass and there are a couple of scales that have either retained their "wash" or are actually brass. The chin scale bosses at the sides of the helmet seem to be brass as well. So, a mixture of brass and zinc parts. They turned to zinc manufacture due to a brass shortage during the war. Brass was needed for shell casings so again, as in WW2....zinc pot metal.
Regarding the M15....it's grey fittings also reflect the brass shortage as well as providing a less shiny helmet. The markings BA XVIII represent the Army Korps to which this Regiment belonged. Germany was divided up into Army Korps districts with different Infantry, Cav and Arty regiments stationed within. I can not read the Regiment stamping. All Korps markings are usually stamped in Roman numerals although some like the XVIII sometimes use "18" to save space. Regimental numbers use our normal Arabic numbers.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:41 pm 
Lite Contributor
Lite Contributor

There is also damage to the officer's plate, the left leg and talon and the bottom of the scepter are missing.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:29 am 
Special Ranks Member
Special Ranks Member

Nice start of your collection :D

Regards,

Edwin