About a Militär Beamte Pickelhaube

Kaiser Wilhelm II

Hello All. I have been doing some research on Militär Beamte Pickelhauben, and I understand that the Military Official Pickelhauben are kind of Oddballs in the world of collecting, But I also know that are folks who can tell what's what when it comes to them. On that topic, I have a question. I have found one I cannot Identify, and I would like to know if anyone can tell me what position it belongs to if possible. It has the silver guilting. It has the cross spike base, and no small Wappenadler, witch I believe means it is pre- 1905. It has flat scales, and Lastly it has a rounded peak, and that is what confused me slightly. I hope that someone will be able to tell me more. Thank You. The Helmet in Question is Below.

Attachments

• 86818.jpg
    86818.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 25
Hello,
Beamten's helmets are very complicated, as they didn't have AKOs as precise as military helmets. Military magistrates, veterinarians, pharmacists, military treasurers, doctors etc. all had different helmets.
Here, what stands out is the cruciform base of the peak, but with a round visor. This is unusual for a military helmet. As this is a privately purchased Extra-Helm, it has all the attributes of an officer's helmet, but without the stars. This means that the wearer have not an officer rang.
The chinstrap scales are not flat, but slightly curved, which is also a mark of administration. The eagle is normally without the Vaterland-Band reserved for military combatants.
The gilding or silvering of the trim gives an indication:
---gold = magistrate, doctor, paymaster depending on the regiment...
---silver = veterinarian, pharmacist, paymaster depending on the regiment...

---Customs, Police, and firefighters had their own model of spiked helmet.
Everything I say above remains to be verified, as official texts are rare.

Even the Helmut Weitze website confuses the issue.

Hello,
Beamten's helmets are very complicated, as they didn't have AKOs as precise as military helmets. Military magistrates, veterinarians, pharmacists, military treasurers, doctors etc. all had different helmets.
Here, what stands out is the cruciform base of the peak, but with a round visor. This is unusual for a military helmet. As this is a privately purchased Extra-Helm, it has all the attributes of an officer's helmet, but without the stars. This means that the wearer have not an officer rang.
The chinstrap scales are not flat, but slightly curved, which is also a mark of administration. The eagle is normally without the Vaterland-Band reserved for military combatants.
The gilding or silvering of the trim gives an indication:
---gold = magistrate, doctor, paymaster depending on the regiment...
---silver = veterinarian, pharmacist, paymaster depending on the regiment...

---Customs, Police, and firefighters had their own model of spiked helmet.
Everything I say above remains to be verified, as official texts are rare.

Even the Helmut Weitze website confuses the issue.
This is about what I expected to hear. I know these helmets are very hard to understand, mostly because of that lack of information. However this has helped in some ways and I thank you for your reply.

I'll have to check it on the Pietsch, but from memory:

---Dragon officer's helmet, silver trim, heavily domed chinstrap scales.

--- but with the reserve infantry officer's eagle, but with the small golden eagle in place of the Landwehrkreuz,

=>he's a veterinarian, with rank 0fficier.

Last edited:
For completeness:

One school of thought describes this helmet as a "Zahlmeister zu Pferde" in a Prussian white-trimmed Dragon regiment. In any case, the only hesitation is between these two functions, for this helmet.

Attachments

• Prus Zahlmeister Zu Pferde.JPG
    Prus Zahlmeister Zu Pferde.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
Pickelhaube of a senior official in charge of finance.The owner of the helmet did not have the military rank of officer,but after going to "civilian" became a senior official.The item was made before 1905.A long time ago I dealt with the subject and do not remember where I found this information.

Back