Baden M 15 top well worth looking at.

joerookery

lots of good reasons to look at this one.
Look how the ball screws in to the cruciform base.
Look at the motto of the wappen and how different it is from a military wappen.
Notice how there is no crown on the wappen. 8)
Doesn't this appear to have a cork body?
Notice the hex nuts.

A fireman's helmet was a lot of things to look at.

Hey Joe,
Also notice that the holes on the plate inside the helmet do not match up with the spike base, and if that Wappen in not cast or galvano, I will eat my Mutze.
Gus

I can't completely make out the motto, but I think it reads: God Persuade thy Neighbor to Work. What the h**l is that supposed to mean?

Chas. :?:

Flat chinscales = Fußartillerie. I don't believe there were any such regiments from Baden. Likewise, no Baden Feldartillerie regiments wore silver furniture and Dragoner visors.

The price of ignorance.

Chas. :roll:

14th Foot arty. -- no silver -- not a dragoon.
Baden%20FtA%20Off.jpg

One view of a Baden fireman with no crown.
fireman2%20001.jpg

Hi Joe:

Oops! I missed that page in my Lainé. You are quite correct, 14th Fußartillerie.

Chas.

Hello All,

The motto is typical for a fireman's helmet:

Gott zur Ehr. Dem Nächsten zur Wehr

which loosely translated means:

For the glory of God and the protection of one's neighbor.

Skøl!
K-B

Goddag K-B:

Your translation is a significant improvement on my feeble attempt. Thank you. I makes a lot more sense.

Chas.

One other point to note here on this piece and some other firemans helmets that I have encountered is that they seem to have reversed the leather hide process. Most WW1 pickelhauben have the smooth hair side of the animal skin on the inside while the flesh side has the shellac finish applied to it. The reason for this is that the flesh side is rough and provides grip for the shellac.
I have recently worked on an officer helmet for Chris L which was made from what is called a "split". In other words because of the leather shortage, they split the hide in order to get more product from it. The shell of this Prussian officer helmet is extremely thin and has a rough texture on both sides. This helmet was in very bad shape due to the weakness of this shell. It came with vulcan vibre visors and side re enforcements. The side re enforcements had cracked because of the weakness of the shell. The fittings on this helmet were the typical mid war gold wash over zinc base metal.
I have a high domed fireman helmet which also has this flesh side grainy interior. This is a very sturdy helmet so I do not think that it is a split but perhaps they changed the manufacturing process after the war and reversed the side that received the shellac??? Regards, Brian

Back