Model 1891 Württemberg Steueraufseher und Grenz-wache Helmet

Tony without Kaiser

Departed
Staff member
From my Kaiser's Bunker collection, and on the web site for almost 20 years.

A rare Model 1891 Württemberg Steueraufseher und Grenz-wache (Customs and Border Guards) Mannschaften (Other Ranks) Pickelhaube. This is a beautiful heavy old helmet with massive Neusilber (nickel silver) fittings, from a very small unit. $1100 USD

This helmet is of the M1871 style, but was not adopted until 1891. Note that the Württemberg Steueraufseher und Grenz-wache utilized a squared front visor with a round spike base, a combination only found in one other military Pickelhaube; the Württemberg Landjäger Korp Pickelhaube. The Wappen is in the pre-1895 pattern with screw-post retainers. Up until 1891 the Steueraufseher und Grenz-wache wore a Wappen that had diagonal mounting screws on the reverse. The helmets were all updated to the standard Württemberg stag and lion Wappen in 1891 which results in older examples such as this, having holes from both Wappens which is absolutely correct. Like a typical M1871 helmet, there is a plain rear spine. The liner is thick and heavy as per a typical M1871 Pickelhaube. Inside is the remains of a paper label from a wearer. More photos here http://www.kaisersbunker.com/dunkelblau/helmets/dbh36.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Full guarantee as to originality, a full week inspection if you need it I would prefer a money order or bank draft but will accept Paypal if you use the "Family/friends option so I do not get hit with the fee. Payments can be spread out over two months if that helps. Postage will be around $40 to the US or Canada. Unfortunately, postage overseas is ridiculous, but of course possible. Email me via the EMAIL button.

dbh36.jpg

This superb, rare, and untouched Pickelhaube that I have had since 1988 (30 years), is now on HOLD by someone with a good eye for quality =D>

Did this helmet sell?
I am looking for some information on this unit. I can't find anything on the history of the Württemberg Steueraufseher und Grenz-wache (Customs and Border Guards).
Were they a national asset, which would wear a Reich's Kokarde after 1897, or were they always a state asset only?
Were they considered a military unit, police, or state officials?

John :)

John the helmet sold. They were a Württemberg and as such, never wore a Reich's Kokarde.

Best reference by far is Wannenwetsch & Hilsenbeck (1993) Konigreich Wurtemberg Die militarischen Kopfbedeckungen 1869-1919. Steinach-Verlag,Reutlingen

John
Tony is spot on in his description.

I got the one that he was selling though I wasn't the initial buyer and there was another one exactly the same one in my collection, so in short I have two of the same unit. .

So; to understand this correctly, they were neither military nor police, but more like Customs and Tax Guard or Financial Administration?
More like the customs officer you would see at an airport, than a border patrol agent.
Correct?

Yes. Someone had to count those potatoes before they cross the border into Baden or Bayern.

SkipperJohn said:
So; to understand this correctly, they were neither military nor police, but more like Customs and Tax Guard or Financial Administration?
More like the customs officer you would see at an airport, than a border patrol agent.
Correct?

Back