UR 14 Officer Restoration Completed

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
Some pictures of the UR 14 officer tschapka as it is now:

The right side shown was very challenging because the original finish was so thick in this area and so much had been lost

The back of the shell is not perfect but still much better. than before.

Probably 90% of this tschapka was refinished, the other 10% being the top. There were minor crazings on the top but all that I did was to apply a very thin "wash" of shellac on these just to stabalize them. The entire helmet except the front visor was then polished with black boot polish.

Thanks Francis, its not perfect but then I look at the "before" pictures and think well, I did not do too badly. I am a bit of a perfectionist but I have to back off and realize that after 100 years they can not be made to be like "brand new".

Well the tschapka is back to its owner safely. Here are some pics of the helmet with all fittings put back on:

Some comments from Mark, the owner of this rare officer tschapka:
"Here are some pics of the masterpiece.
Awesome job my friend, and thank you so much. Just can't be happier, thank you!"
Mark

Thank you Francis, it is a very cool helmet and extremely rare in my opinion. I have only seen them in reference books. It was a privilege to work on this piece.

Back