WW1 M18 German Turkish Free Corps "Freikorps" helm

Rendsburg

I never see before, but I think seeing the original photo, something strange...
Otto

http://cgi.ebay.com/WW1-M18-German-Turkish-Free-Corps-Freikorps-helmet_W0QQitemZ6571265416QQcategoryZ13965QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Hey Otto,
This one looks to be real, one must be careful thaough, as these are being reproduced. This is the first one I have seen.
Gus

Were the helmets by hand cut, or did they leave like this the factory? For the picture I thought that the cuts were different in each helmet. Perhaps the angle, I don't know for sure.
Otto

Otto,

This helmet is a Model 1916 Stahlhelm (leather liner band and M91 type chinstrap connections). The visorless helmets for the Turkish Army/Freikorps were a variant of the Model 1918 (steel liner band with the chinstrap attached to the linerbad instead of M91 attachments).

I could not state with authority that M1916 helmets were not made/converted to this pattern, but conventional wisdom says that the Turkish contract were Model 1918s.

Although it looks nice, I will wait to see an authentic M1918 visorless helmet.

Mike

Mike,
Good point, the helmet could have a M16 liner with out problems, but it could not have the M95 chin strap studs, so I would concur that it is not the real thing.
Gus

Back