WWI German fieldgrey tunic

Rendsburg

Hi,

http://cgi.ebay.com/WW-1-original-german-fieldgrey-tunic-1918-dated_W0QQitemZ6569598095QQcategoryZ13965QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Otto

Hi Otto, it is on my watch list, and it will stay there, I worry about the inner pockets being removed, there is no reason for that, were there pockets in the first place, costume tunics do not have the inner pockets.
Gus

Though fixable, the shoulder straps are probably not correct for this Bavarian tunic. I can't get to my reference at the moment, but I don't believe the 240.RIR was Bavarian. Anyone know for sure?

Chip

Hello All,
The 240th was part of the 52nd Reserve Division. Acccording to Histories of the Two Hundred and Fifty-One Divisions of the German Army which participated in the War (1914-1918):

"At the time of its formation the 52nd Reserve Division was made up of one Rhenish Regiment and three from Baden; to-day it is entirely Rhenish."

Hope this helps,
K-B

Thanks Kjell,

I didn't think the straps were correct. The markings inside are particular to Bavaria and the Feldgrau collar confirms this. The lack of Bavarian Hoheitsborte tells me that this a late war piece or it was removed. I think there is a very good likelihood that the NCO braid was added. Original Papiergarn braid is readily available today and the condition of this braid does not match the threadbare look of the rest of the tunic. In my opinion, it's a total reconstruction of an altered piece.

Chip

Back