My WW1 camo helmet

Anything WWI

Moderators: b.loree, Gustaf

Amybellars
Contributor
Contributor

My WW1 camo helmet

Post by Amybellars » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:40 pm

Received a letter from Singapore Post today informing me that the police force has detained my parcel as that ww1 steel helmet is a controlled item listed as arm and explosive and a permit costing $22 for each item is required.

I applied for the licence, a police officer rang and said I need to submit another form for clearance of arms. I hit the roof and asked him for reason why steel helmet is listed as an arm, he said Singapore is a highly regulated country, anything that can be used as a weapon to defend is an arm. I asked him why pots and pans made of the same material can be sold openly. He refused to answer my question.

Got my permit today with condition that I safelock the steel helmet and not to be used in public places.

This is so frustrating.. But good for a laugh.

SkipperJohn
Special Ranks Member
Special Ranks Member

Re: My WW1 camo helmet

Post by SkipperJohn » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:59 pm

How odd.
Is the spike on a Pickelhaube considered a weapon as well?

John :o :o :o

stuka f
Special Ranks Member
Special Ranks Member

Post by stuka f » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:08 am

Absurd!
Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
http://virtueel-museum-antwerpen.webnode.be/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cheers
|<ris

Amybellars
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Amybellars » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:14 am

They let spike helmets in with no problem but steel helmet is a controlled item and must be safe locked and not use in public places. I wonder why they can openly display knifes and choppers for sale and within reach of children.

I told the police officer that steel helmet is never controlled in any part of the world, he said :"I don't care about other parts of the world, this is Singapore a highly regulated country." I gave him a earful for his rudeness and he was nicer after that.

So if you want to come into Singapore, you can stick few choppers on your head but not steel helmet. ](*,) ](*,)

Amybellars
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Amybellars » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:19 am

:cry: I wonder how a steel helmet can be an explosive item. The elite police force wears helmets too, do those helmets explode in the midst of their duty?

pebceb
Lite Contributor
Lite Contributor

Post by pebceb » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:24 am

Sounds like a cash grab to me. Hopefully not a scam.

Peter_Suciu

Post by Peter_Suciu » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:06 am

I had to mail the spikes for British Home Service helmets when flying home from SOS years ago. The American TSA said they could be a weapon. Of course my wife was allowed to bring knitting needles. Dumb rules are still rules unfortunately.

aicusv
Special Ranks Member
Special Ranks Member

Post by aicusv » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:23 pm

Why would a Government prohibit something that is used to protect an individual and is not an offensive weapon? :-k (not a very secure Government). Although, I believe that the German Army considered the steel helmet as a weapon item and not part of the uniform.
fezzes frigidus es

b.loree
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by b.loree » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:58 pm

The only reason I can think of is that it could be used in a possible confrontation with police in a protest situation. The head is a vulnerable part of human anatomy, that old helmet provides good protection.
Remember, Pillage first THEN Burn ...

pickelhauben
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor

Post by pickelhauben » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:35 am

Indeed unusual .

Any way to see the camo helmet / weapon in question ?

woznotwos
Contributor
Contributor

Post by woznotwos » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:47 am

Is this it ?
helmetgun01.jpg
Just started blindfolded archery, best thing I've ever done, if you've not tried it. You don't know what your missing.

911car
Special Ranks Member
Special Ranks Member

Post by 911car » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:31 pm

Peter_Suciu wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:06 am
I had to mail the spikes for British Home Service helmets when flying home from SOS years ago. The American TSA said they could be a weapon. Of course my wife was allowed to bring knitting needles. Dumb rules are still rules unfortunately.
Capture.PNG
On this one the spike is stuck and cannot be taken off. It still made it through airport security though, but at the gate flight attendants came to me and said they were worried to see this spike in the cabin. The captain did not seem much concerned but he still decided to carry the helmet himself, and the venerable 1860 Garde du Corps made it to destination in the cockpit...

Tony without Kaiser
Departed

Post by Tony without Kaiser » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:27 pm

In 2008 I carried seven Pickelhauben stuffed into my carry-on bag. The security staff at the gate in LA and then again in Toronto were fascinated. At one point and had five or six standing around me getting the two-minute Pickelhaube history lesson. Then off I went. Not anymore.

Prior to that in 1991 I flew from New Brunswick to Vancouver Air Canada with a complete Panzerfaust in my carry-on. Deactivated of course...

I would never get away with that now. For good reason though.

But a steel helmet being tagged as a weapon is ridiculous. But as Peter noted, a ridiculous law is unfortunately still a law.
Kaiser: 09 July 1997 - 12 October 2010.
Nina: 23 April 2002 - 31 July 2015.
I miss my little Noodles.
http://www.kaisersbunker.com/

Gustaf

Post by Gustaf » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:37 pm

The reason the steel helmet is classified as a weapon is the same reason that there were WMDs found in Iraq before the First Gulf War. In the United States, a gas mask is classified as a defensive weapon, that makes it a weapon of mass destruction because it is used in chemical warfare. It is stupid, but it is a felony to import a gas mask to the USA. I have had a number of "friends" send me gas masks just to see if I would get arrested.
OK, they are dolls, but they have kung fu grip! and weapons.

Amybellars
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Amybellars » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:11 am

Gus, your friend must have hate you enuf to send you gas masks lol. I think another carton with ten steel helmets which I have mailed back from sos louisville get detained today as my other 3 caartons made it thru but not the box containing the steel helmets.

aicusv
Special Ranks Member
Special Ranks Member

Post by aicusv » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:08 pm

They may think you are raising your own army.
fezzes frigidus es