The Mexican Haubes

Post your latest treasure.

Moderator: b.loree

Arran
Contributor
Contributor

Re: The Mexican Haubes

Post by Arran » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:29 pm

I believe photo bucket charges now for images- I use tinypic.com with no problems!
Looking for German-made pickelhauben for foreign markets!

Nacuaa

Post by Nacuaa » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:53 pm

http://tinypic.com/r/v80px5/9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I pasted this in the URL and can see the image on Tiny Pic.

aicusv
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor

Post by aicusv » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:26 pm

Hope you don't mind, I posted the image here.

Nacuaa

Post by Nacuaa » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:02 am

Thank you, I think its important.

Arran
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Arran » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:34 am

Thanks for posting the plate- its a beautiful design, and now the latest edition to my "want" list!

Nacuaa

Post by Nacuaa » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:15 am

A Porfiriato period metalhelm with this same plate is depicted in the 1979 publication "El Ejercito Mexicano." Neither this nor the Phoenix helmet are shown in any published official uniform regulations. It may be that these are helmets purchased for independent state militia or police units for example. This one appears to be a brass German pattern fire helmet with silvered fittings. I will post the photo on the Tinypic site and maybe aicusv or another member can transfer it to this discussion.

Any observations on the spike configuration? Is it a German civil configuration?

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=i6dn44&s=9#.WlwTLB1G0qx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

aicusv
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor

Post by aicusv » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:59 am

Here it is;

BTW neat helmet, but I don't think I would like to be wearing it in the Mexican sun.

Nacuaa

Post by Nacuaa » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:26 pm

Probably just worn during the Rainy Season.

Arran
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Arran » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:11 pm

That last metal helmet is not German military in configuration- more like a fireman's helmet in shape. I've found another pic of a helmet with this plate, too. State militia of some kind, or possibly a military academy? I can't say...

Nacuaa

Post by Nacuaa » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:59 am

Arran's observation on this helmet he found is very interesting. The white plume was worn by aspirantes at the Chapultepec military academy. Looking closely at this photo of aspirantes training with artillery it looks as if they are wearing a plate with this configuration -- much more circular shaped badge than the spread eagle plate worn by the military itself. That said though there are photos of the academy students wearing pickelhaubes with the spread eagle as well. Also, the parts look brass on this helmet, implying use by an enlisted man. The helmet hadn't been distributed to the army yet so this may very well be made up for the "elite" soldiers -- the military academy troops.

I put the photo on Tinypics.
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=b9dpa1&s=9#.WmCq-h1G2fQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Arran
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Arran » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:53 pm

I think the academy association may be correct! Also note that both the helmet with plume and the Arizona museum helmet are NCO in configuration, rather than the officer grade helmets we see with the standard Mexican plate. This would make sense for aspirants at the academy, IMO. Here is a helmet sold recently, about which I have my doubts...

Nacuaa

Post by Nacuaa » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:16 pm

I agree. It has an assembled vibe to it. The eagle is mounted very low on the helmet for example. I am very interested to see that possible academy helmet. I find myself up and around the Chapultepec castle in the summers and see the students exercising, parading and so forth and try to imagine all the drills up there in those pickelhaubes back in 1910.

b.loree
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by b.loree » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:32 am

The chin scales in the picture above do not fasten in the German way. The metal helme chin scales do. Consequently, this would suggest the scales shown are not original. My guess would be Indian manufacture.
Remember, Pillage first THEN Burn ...

Nacuaa

Post by Nacuaa » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:16 pm

Kk, I think your box is full and I could not respond. You are lucky to have that. There was just one plate used-- the spread wing eagle and they were all the same size. The other eagle discussed here seems to have had other purposes such as use by the military academy.

Nacuaa

Post by Nacuaa » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:22 pm

Here are some Post-Revolution Cadets. They are wearing the spread-wing eagle. I think the helmet Arran posted is the very early modelof 1905. I'm not sure that I have ever even seen a photo of this helmet before.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=30k9grn ... mI6_B1G0u8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

aicusv
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor

Post by aicusv » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:35 pm

I posted the photo for you.

JohnM
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JohnM » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:40 pm

I found this at the Military Museum in Vienna, Austria. The helmets of Garde du Korps of Maximilian I, Emperor of Mexico.

John

badener
Contributor
Contributor

Post by badener » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:18 pm

dpeng
It must be a Bavarian. They always smell the worst!

Nacuaa

Post by Nacuaa » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:10 pm

I am delighted to see these excellent photos. I knew the helmets were there but I wonder why? I suspect they were never shipped to Mexico. One of these sold at Hermann Historica about a decade ago for over $100,000. When Mexican friends go to Austria, Austrian customs officials love to point out that they killed their prince. They have a very different sense of history over there.

Probably the most famous photo associated with Maximilian's palace guard is that of its commander, Count Karl of Bombelles. Karl was a childhood friend of Maximilian. I have always wondered why personal bodyguard Karl wasn't with the emperor when he was captured and shot by Juarez's Republican troops. Later on Emperor Franz Joseph put Karl in charge of his only son Crown Prince Rudolf who committed suicide with his 17 year old mistress. Karl is described by one recent author as a "roué" of the first order.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2gwbzmp ... mTMrh1G0qw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

aicusv
Exceptional Contributor
Exceptional Contributor

Post by aicusv » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:40 pm

Nacuaa

Post by Nacuaa » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:34 pm

Thanks again for posting. Its an impressive uniform, closer to a German "reiter" of this period than anything Austrian or French.