Post your latest treasure.

Moderator: b.loree

skelts1974
Contributor
Contributor

Cameron Laughlin

Post by skelts1974 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:16 am

Hi,

I have some sad news to share. Today I learnt that Cameron Laughlin passed away. It appears he died of a heart attack 10 days ago, but was only found this week. Cameron had had a difficult year and was slowly rebuilding his life and his business.

Cameron was a good friend and arguably one of the most gifted restorers in America and probably the world. I know some found him difficult, but to me he was a very good friend and a mentor. He saw me through some difficult personal times and was always someone I could talk too, despite being on opposite sides of the world. I will truely miss our discussions on the manufacture of German and French helmets.

My thoughts go out to his ex wife Chris and all his friends in Tucson and also within the collecting community.

Regards

Steve

Arran
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Cameron Laughlin

Post by Arran » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:32 am

Sorry to hear this. Cameron did a restoration job for me with which I was very pleased, and certainly had an exceptional talent in that field...
Looking for German-made pickelhauben for foreign markets!

joerookery

Post by joerookery » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:41 am

I am quite sorry to hear that. He truly did have talent.
VR/Joe
www.pickelhauben.net
The British philosopher and historian R.G. Colligwood said, "it is not
the facts that are interesting in history, but the questions and their
answers - and these can never be fixed.

J.LeBrasseur

Post by J.LeBrasseur » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:36 pm

Sorry to hear!

James
J.LeBrasseur

Maple Creek
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Maple Creek » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:01 pm

The collector community has lost a great craftsman/restorer - maybe the best. He worked on half a dozen projects for my father and me. The results were amazing. Some of you may recall the GdC restoration he did for me. He brought an IR 116 back from the dead with great skill. He was generous to me with advice and instructions. At one point he sent me detailed instructions about how to restitch broken visors using proper period materials and sewing techniques. He invited me to AZ to learn some of his craft (for a fee of course!). I wonder if anybody took him up on that. I had a sense that he wanted to pass on his knowledge.

He had a sizable hoard of original used pickelhaube parts. Hopefully that will be made available somehow.

Sad...

b.loree
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by b.loree » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:36 pm

Very shocked and saddened to hear that. I had limited contact with him but truly respected his formidable restoration skills.
Remember, Pillage first THEN Burn ...