Chinscales - cleaning and polishing

Before and after pictures of restoration projects

Moderator: b.loree

Maple Creek
Contributor
Contributor

Chinscales - cleaning and polishing

Post by Maple Creek » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:59 pm

What's the best way to clean tarnished chinscales? I've never been sure of the best method, but I bet somebody here has figured that out. My current project is a set of silver plated chinscales. The sections where the scales meet is difficult to reach and I don't what to bend the sets too much.

Thanks!

Mark

aicusv
Special Ranks Member
Special Ranks Member

Re: Chinscales - cleaning and polishing

Post by aicusv » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:52 pm

Appears most of us are afraid to even think about cleaning these. The only thing I will say is polishing plated metal can remove the plating. Rather than removing the tarnish you would need something that chemically treats the oxidation. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
fezzes frigidus es

b.loree
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by b.loree » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:08 pm

The only way to clean them in my experience is to use a dremel tool, polishing disc and jewellers rouge. Unfortunately, this will remove the gilding. Six months ago I cleaned a neusilber pair of scales using this method. The helmet had been kept in a tobacco rich environment. Unfortunately, most of the nickel plating came off, it was pitted with tobacco juice. :( . Now if the scales were broken and needing a rebuild, you could safely use a sonic cleaner to remove oxidization without damage and then reassemble.
Remember, Pillage first THEN Burn ...

Maple Creek
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Maple Creek » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:48 pm

Hi Brian and aicuzv, Thanks for the tips. Sounds like there is no really good solution. If the chinscales were gilt I wouldn't try to clean them. I would guess that silver plated chinscales might stand some mild cleaning and polishing better than gilt ones although rubbing off the silver plating is a hazard. On the set I'm working with that's already happened a little bit. Other than the tarnishing the chinscale set is perfectly intact so it's definitely not coming apart. I might try the dremel tool/jeweller's rouge method on a spot that won't show and see how that works. First time I heard of this method.
-Mark D.