1. Garde-Regiment zu Fuß 1912

Glennj

Here is a nice image of the colours of 1. Garde-Regiment zu Fuß being paraded before the Kaiser and the King Ferdinand of Bulgaria at Potsdam in early June 1912. Some interesting characters are identifiable in this shot. From right to left:

Generalleutnant Fritz von Below, commanding 1. Garde-Division and during the war commander of the 2nd, 1st and 9th armies respectively.
General der Infanterie Alfred von Loewenfeld, commanding the Garde-Korps.
Kaiser Wilhelm II
King Ferdinand of Bulgaria
Oberst Friedrich von Friedeburg, commanding 1. Garde-Regiment zu Fuß
General der Infanterie Moritz Freiherr von Lyncker, Generaladjutant and chief of the military cabinet.
Prince August Wilhelm of Prussia
Prince George of Greece
Prince Oskar of Prussia
Prince Friedrich Victor of Hohenzollern.

Leading the Leib-Kompanie is Hauptmann Otto von Roeder.

Regards
Glenn

Potsdam 1912.JPG

Leading the Leib-Kompanie is Hauptmann Otto von Roeder.

Hi Glenn,

a breathtaking image!!

Btw. fun fact: OvR was the grandfather of the well-known Vicco von Bülow, alias Loriot. His mother was a born von Roeder.

As Vicco v. Bülow was asked where he got his sense of humor from, he replied that he got it mainly from his grandfather Otto v. Roeder inherited.
Because v. As adjutant, Roeder had the task of entertaining the emperor at the table. This required humor that was not tasteless, vulgar or hurtful, but rather dry and extremely funny, and on an ethnically neutral basis.

Attached a pic of him as Hauptmann and Adjutant of 1st Guards-Infantry-Brigade around 1906-1908.

Greetings
Stefan.

Attachments

• img008.jpg
    img008.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 12
Hi Stephan,

very nice portrait of Hauptmann von Roeder. I checked the 1933 regimental history of 1. GRzF and found there another image of the same occasion and the date is confirmed as 7 June 1912.

Presumably, the two colours are those of the I and IV battalions, that of the IV being carried by the Leib-Kompanie.

Regards
Glenn

Hi Stephan,

very nice portrait of Hauptmann von Roeder. I checked the 1933 regimental history of 1. GRzF and found there another image of the same occasion and the date is confirmed as 7 June 1912.

Presumably, the two colours are those of the I and IV battalions, that of the IV being carried by the Leib-Kompanie.

Regards
Glenn
Yep, I agree.

The photo was taken at the garden terrace of the Neues Palais

Attachments

• Neues_Palais,_Potsdam_(front).jpg
    Neues_Palais,_Potsdam_(front).jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 12
Vouziers, France, 23 March 1915; not three years since the last image of the same two colours (in quite different circumstances!) His Majesty the Kaiser visited the 1. Garde-Brigade in Vouziers and here we see members of the I. Bataillon and the band of 1. Garde-Regiment zu Fuß prior to the march past. The three officers from left to right are Hauptmann Kuno von Sick, company commander of the Leib-Kompanie, Leutnant Hans-Harald von Selchow (3. Komp.) and Leutnant Klaus von Werder, adjutant of the I. Bataillon. Sick and Werder wear their newly awarded Iron crosses 1st class presented that day. The left of the two Fahnenträger is Unteroffizier Busch carrying the colour of the I. Bataillon. To his right between and behind the two NCO bandsmen is Obermusikmeister Fritz Bauerfeld. Note his quasi-officer collar litzen and the distinctive red shoulder boards of his rank.

Regards
Glenn

Vouziers_Mar 15.jpg

Back