12th Lancer Cap

Peter_Suciu

This is a late Victorian Lancer cap from the 12th Lancers, The Prince of Wales's Own. After WWII this unit was combined with the 9th Lancers.

This one appears to be an NCO's helmet as it is nicer than the basic OR helmets, but clearly isn't officer's. I had to dip into my SOS funds to buy it, but certainly worth it.

12lancer.jpg

Wow, excellent piece! Congratulations. A great deal of the Brit Victorian militaria is very nice! Brian

Just amazing, it's a super beauty! It makes me even think about collecting these too... :p
Do you also have pictures of the inside?

Adler

Nice addition Peter.
I love the color of the Plume ,it is brighter then I normally see on these. Is it marked with a date ? Just curious ,a late collector friend had a few of the lancer caps ,som earlier versions .
mark

Mark, the plume might look as bright red as a Japanese school girl's hair... but it that is the result of the camera. It isn't nearly so bright in real life. I brightened this to show the detail, which was lost in the shadow and the result is red that looks positively vivid. The red is much more muted. Darker than the red of this site's logo.

Peter
Not used to seeing them that red ,but your editing makes it look nice. Love thse helmets ,actuly better then the German Tczapkas ,they seem to be a little more available ,I have no idea why.
Mark

I'm not sure which are "out there" more. I think I've seen more of the Uhlan German helmets over the years, but I don't actually have one. I should try to get one I suppose. There are just never any decent ones at SOS.

The British went for more color with these than the Germans, but the truth is that by the time this pattern came out, post 1856, the Lancers didn't wear these into combat. That's the significant difference.

The Crimean War was the last time the Lancer Cap was worn in battle. After that it was just a dress helmet. Likewise, the British Dragoons didn't wear their tall brass/nickel helmets either.

This is something that needs to be considered. The Germans Uhlans wore the Tschapka into battle even in WWI. The British lancers wore visor caps by that time.

Beautiful example in great condition, well acquired!
I have a similar piece of the Royal Lancers, found in Berlin where it had stayed since 1913 (wonder who was in such a hurry to leave that he left it behind?) Unfortunately the back vertical seam of the skull has parted completely. Any ideas how it may be reattached?
Cheers
Steve

Back