13th Uhlan Regiment Kammerstueck enlisted tschapkas

cptbob

I have 2 issued enlisted tschapka's for the 13th Uhlan regiment. They are made by the same manufacturer (H Clemen) and have very similar markings. One is is much better shape. I'll start with that one:
IMG_0129.JPG
IMG_0130.JPG
IMG_0131.JPG
IMG_0132.JPG
IMG_0086.JPG

Tschapka number 2...This one has some issues: It's missing the toggle and I'm a little iffy on the wappen. It does have unit stamps (very faint). There are extra holes gouged in for the wappen loops. (on the other one the loops fit right in the grommets).
IMG_0133.JPG
IMG_0080.JPG
IMG_0081.JPG
IMG_0098.JPG
IMG_0109.JPG

Interesting while they are from the same maker, the Wappen are clearly made with different tools.

aicusv said:
Interesting while they are from the same maker, the Wappen are clearly made with different tools.
I suspect the wappen on the 2nd one is a replacement and maybe a copy.

cptbob said:
aicusv said:

I would not say it is a copy... it looks good to me, and the eagle head has this particular shape frequently encountered at UR13:

L1050808.JPG

911car said:
cptbob said:
aicusv said:

I would not say it is a copy... it looks good to me, and the eagle head has this particular shape frequently encountered at UR13:

L1050808.JPG
Thanks! That would be very good news to me. It doesn't really fit well, so my first inclination was to assume the worst.

Excellent post and my congratulations on two rare pieces. I lust after that 58cm helme as I could wear that while shoveling snow!! :thumb up:

Thank you everyone for the kind words. Thank you very much Bruno and Tony for putting my doubts about the wappen to rest.

As I said, a fine display of rare helmets. Nicely done. Both your Wappen are in better condition than mine. Mine appears to be an 'end of the run' stamping for the dies and lacks the crisp detail that both of yours have.

Here is my issued Neusilber Mannschaften Tschapka Wappen for Königs-Ulanen-Regt. (1. Hannoversches) Nr.13 (Hannover) X Armee Korps.

For those that do not know the background, on 24 January 1899 Kaiser Wilhelm II awarded the regiment the multiple Bandeau with PENINSULA-WATERLOO-GARZIA HERNANDEZ and the Garde star as they had fought as part of The British King's German Legion during the Napoleonic wars. A reminder: King George III was also the duke of Braunschweig and Hannover.

On UR13 Wappen, the Bandeau letters are stylized, almost like present day Comic Sans font. What makes an Ulanen Regt. Nr.13 Wappen quite unique, is that while almost every other Ulanen Wappen in the Imperial German Army has the basic Line eagle, the addition of four battle honours necessitated a completely new Wappen design resulting in very unique shape to the eagle, particularly the wings and eagles head as has been mentioned. There is nothing else like it.

UR13a.jpg

Back