149th IR Colonels Name?

Larmo

Greetings all

Was wondering how one could go about finding the first name of the Regimental commander of the 149th Regiment in 1897? I have the 1897 Rangliste but it gives his last name only. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks..

Larmo

Larry,

Mike Dwyer is probably the smartest on this, but can you get the regimental history for the prewar unit? If the individual is aristocracy, he might be in the Gotha. I have access to some of those. Some of the entries give sort of a biography. If the individual is part of the Nieder-Adel I have no clue except the regimental history-- I have several but not that one.

Hi Joe

According to the information source I have the 149th was established in 1897 so I do not have too much history beyond that tidbit. What I am hoping is that this is Friedrich Reinhold Junghans, whose 1867 pattern officers helmet is in our collection. In the 1875 Rangliste there is only one Junghans listed (35th Fusiliers his wartime unit), my guy with an EK2, in the 1897 list there are three Junghans, but only one with an EK2. I'm hoping that the Colonel of the 149th is Fred Junghans. That would be additional icing on the cake.

Larry

Thanks, Joe, for the compliment, but I'm not sure I am the best person for this. In an attempt to be of some help, I've posted an inquiry on the Gentlemen's Military Interest Forum. There are some guys on there that own almost every publication imaginable, so perhaps I can get the information. If I do, I'll post it here.

Larry,

I checked on GMIC and according to Daniel Krause, one of the experts there, the first commander of Infantry Regt 149 was.....

Friedrich Junghans, 03.09.1850-13.06.1907
Retired Sept 1898 as Colonel

Wow! I would have thought my posting the requested information would have at least drawn some response.

Hi Mike thank you for looking this up, my apologies for the tardiness of my response but we were out of town since last Friday, Yahoo!!!! Great Stuff. Many thanks, I owe you a couple of cold ones. Larry: :hello1: dpeng :wav: :eek:ccasion5: :eek:ccasion7:

Hi Mike

Please look in the Latest Find section of the forum, I posted photos and a little story on the helmet under 1867 35th Fusilier Helmet, Junghans II.

Thanks again for the help, I really appreciate it...

Larry

Larmo said:
Hi Mike

Please look in the Latest Find section of the forum, I posted photos and a little story on the helmet under 1867 35th Fusilier Helmet, Junghans II.

Thanks again for the help, I really appreciate it...

Larry

I remember that posting, now that I've looked at it again. Very nice helmet!

Back