1853 Kürassier Wappen Converted to 1860 Regulations

SkipperJohn

In 1860 older 1842 style Wappen were modified to conform with the new regulations by having a "Mit Gott Für Koenig und Vaterland" Bandeau soldered on. This is an example of that modification on a Kürassier Wappen:

CGYwRo1.jpg

The solder was basically hidden from the front, but the result was less than perfect:

8vEEPmK.jpg

fRgsl7I.jpg

rL37q0Q.jpg

Holes were drilled in the Wappen to ensure that the Bandeau held in place with the solder:

umnZpXj.jpg

The standard screw posts were either left alone or re-soldered back onto the plate:

JiORz3i.jpg

The end result was that the reverse of the plate was an absolute mess:

uxMmmaz.jpg

This Wappen had also been broken at some point and a unique repair was made by soldering on a new globe and cross assembly. While the entire Wappen is stamped brass (as detailed on the back as on the front) the replacement globe appears to be cast. The solder is period, so this poses yet another question.
This Wappen is 128mm and is attached to this helmet:

9Y2owVQ.png

I would suppose that any of the older Wappen still in use in 1860 would have been modified in the same fashion. A later version of this Wappen was produced which incorporated a stamped in bandeaux. Both versions were used on Model 1860 helmets.

KXulVrT.jpg

John :)

Back