1866 Prussian Soldier - need help with rank, etc.

ktp21

Hello All!

Please check out this blurry 1866 picture of my great great grandfather who I'm assuming participated in the Austro-Prussian War. He was born in Praust, near Danzig but may have also lived in Lauenberg. Can anyone tell from this picture what type of soldier he was? I'm assuming he was a basic field type soldier but any help on his rank, division, etc would be of great help!

I also have a colorized painting of this portrait, but I do not think it was done by anyone who knew proper colors, accessories, etc. so I didn't think it would be of any help. But let me know if you'd like to see it!

Thank you!

Katie

augustuniform.jpg

Hey Katie,
The photo is very poor and does not offer much to go by, but I believe that he is a Prussian infantryman (this is determined by the Prussian Eagle on his helmet, and would fit Danzig, and I would guess that the tunic is blue inthe colourized version), and belonged to the 2nd or 3rd company of his regiment (this is derermined by the Trodel, or tassle hanginig by his left hand, does the colourize example show any colours to the tassle?) He is a common soldier, as there is no sign of NCO insignia on his collar. The quality of the photo does not show any details of his tunic or equipment to tell much more in my opinion, but we might be suprised by the skills of some of the other members at seeing thing in photos (I am not one of the best at this)
Best wishes
Gus

Thanks for the info! I'm very surprised you were even able to figure out that much info from the photo! Here is the colorized version, again things are incorrect... the emblem on his helmet isn't even drawn as an eagle. Haha... but here goes nothing!

august.jpg

Thanks again and hope this helps!

Hey Katie,
Actually, the emblem on his helmet is very recognizable as a Prussian Eagle, holdig a septer in the right claw and an orb in the left. The colours are actually rather good and do represent what his uniform would have looked like, but I can not tell any thing else from it. The style of cuffs might be significant, but 1866 is a bit early for my knowledge. This is a nice bit of history to have in your family, and should be cherished.
Best wihses
Gus

Wow - I'm glad you shed some light on this! I guess I assumed that it was incorrect when it wasn't! I figured whoever made it would not have information about proper colors, symbols, etc. I definitely cherish this photo and am proud of my Prussian roots! Thank you!

Back