1870 EKII

Diego

Hi Folks!!!

I like to show one of my new purchases made in 2005. This is an 1870 Eisernes Kreuz II Klasse given during the Franco-Prussian War (1870-71) with the oak leaves cluster awarded for the recipients of the 1870 Iron Cross who were still in service in 1895. I’ve done a presentation about the Iron Cross history, including some informations about the 1813 medal, but I remembered that all of you are “imperaholic” like me… :D

I hope you enjoy!

Diego.

PS – Sorry about my English, I promise that I will improve it in the New Year. :oops:

cruzdeferrode2classe1870017pf.jpg

cruzdeferrode2classe1870023io.jpg

cruzdeferrode2classe1870043vi.jpg

PS – Sorry about my English, I promise that I will improve it in the New Year.
Hi Diego,
I hope your English does not improve, otherwise, those of us who speak English as a first language, will need to improve (My first language was a combination of profanity and blasphemy)
Best wishes

Gus

Very nice, Diego.I love these things and I had one when I was a kid, WW1, from my Grandad. It got sold off with all my Victorian British medals which I started collecting when I was 10 because I could'nt afford spiked helmets! I'd quite like to get another, to go with the 'haubes. How much do they come in at - what should I expect to pay for a nice one 1870 and WW1?

Here is mine. I only wanted one example to go with my Franco-Preußen war helmets. I read everything I could find in the Wehrmacht-Awards forum on what to look for both good and bad. Using the knowledge of others, I made what I thought was an informed decision. This has all the characteristics of an issued piece. It was a little souvenir from my trip to Deutschland Mai 2004.

Its a little box, but much larger than most Etui at 105mm wide by 100mm deep. What could it be?

EK41_1.jpg

Oooh!

EK41_2.jpg

Obverse.

EK41_3.jpg

Close-ups

EK41_4.jpg

EK41_5.jpg

EK41_6.jpg

And the reverse.

EK41_7.jpg

EK41_9.jpg

EK41_9.jpg

Hi folks!

Many thanks for the words. Let me answer the questions one by one.

Chas,

My 1870 EKII is not a Prinzengroße cross. Maybe - when I grow up - I could have a nice Prinzengross in my collection...

Spike,

I have a special love for WW1 medals, especially German decorations. But I have some III Reich medals, badges and bars. You can find a nice WWI EKII for US$ 60-70. But, an 1870 EKII costs something like US$ 450-500.

Tony,

Amazing!!!!!!! :D

Reservist,

Very nice cross! :eek:

Regards,

Diego.

Here's an example I just picked up at the SOS from Stephen Previtera.
It's pictured in The Iron Time, 1st Edition, page 149.

1870ekii1xe0.jpg

Back