1887 Garde Pickelhaube or Landes Gendarmerie OR Helmet?

JohnS3rd

I recently picked what I thought to be an 1887 Model Garde Pickelhaube. However, I am a bit stumped.

The two-piece Prussian Garde Wappen, brass Adler, and Silver Garde Star are secured to the leather body using the standard wire loop and leather wedge setup outlined in the 1895 orders concerning the Pickelhaube. At the same time, heaver Alders used a screw and bolt version, which was well in the realm of possibilities for a helmet that was used for a longer period. The front of the Pickelhaube has one pair of holes for fitting the Adler to the helmet.

1887 LG Garde MS Pickelhaube F.jpeg

1887 LG Garde MS Pickelhaube LS.jpeg

1887 LG Garde MS Pickelhaube R.jpeg

1887 LG Garde MS Pickelhaube IS Liner.jpeg

However, centered below the mounting holes is a stamping of “L.G.,” and below the letters, the year “1887” is stamped. I have found no other stampings inside the helmet body nor on the leather front or rear visors.

1887 LG Garde MS Pickelhaube F IS.jpeg

The “1887” date stamp on the helmet, the high dome-like leather shell, and the ventless back brass spine indicate that the Pickelhaube is a Model-1887 Pickelhaube. The chinscales are held in place by the 1871 threaded screw post; the rosettes are absent from the helmet screw post.

The brass chinscales look to have been painted steel; what would be the purpose of this change?

I have used Tony’s Imperial German Pickelhaube Evolution 1842 – 1915 https://www.kaisersbunker.com/pe/m1860.htm and Sandy’s https://historien-kabinett.de/1871-1886-en and still wonder what the proper classification of the helmet might be; is a Garde Helmet repurposed, or a Landes Gendarmerie repurposed to a Garde Pickelhaube?

Best regards,
John

I owned one of these for several years and then sold it. When I bought it, I also believed it to be an older Garde helmet. However, once I knew what the LG and date represented I moved it along. A very nice example though.

Last edited:
Thank you, one and all, for your kind comments. I agree it is an excellent helmet considering its age. I found the nut inside the rear visor that holds the rear spine in place unique.
Does anyone know why the chin scales look to have been painted silver? Also, were any of the LG units authorized to wear a parade plume/trichter?
I agree it requires a nice set of rosettes to bring it to proper form. Does anyone have any that they would like to sell? :cool::sneaky::giggle:

Best regards,
John

Here is my Pickelhaube with its rosette I picked up on eBay. I owe Amy a big ”Thank You“ for alerting me to them.
Best regards
John

Attachments

• IMG_0181.jpeg
    IMG_0181.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 19
The Landgendarm's helmet on foot was identical to that of the Garde-Grenadier and the Landgendarm's helmet on horseback was identical to that of the Garde-Dragoner.
However, your helmet is not an M87 model. See Sandy's post on this subject. Your helmet still has an M67 tip (round base and perlring, 2 ventilation holes ) and a screw-fastening M67 chinstrap.

Attachments

• LG Prus zuPf Z2+ 1650€.PNG
    LG Prus zuPf Z2+ 1650€.PNG
    626.5 KB · Views: 12
Back