1897 Dragoner-Mannschaftshelm

mauihiu

This is my first post so please excuse any rookie mistake I make. I have been interested in Imperial militaria for years, but just got the "fever" since being stationed in Germany last year.
I just pickeup up this 1897 Model Dragoon helmet form the Kube auction this past saturday.
I could use some help with the markings and maybe identifying the unit.
Any help from this great forum is greatly appreciated.

Also including a photo of my the pickelhaubes I have picked up in the last few months.

Thanks,
Eric

Welcome to the forum, nice looking helmet, I am sure some of the others can help with the markings.

Nice group, you have been busy.

James

Welcome. the 1 E represents 1st Escadron or 1st Squadron, the II mark (garniture mark) beside it signifies its condition so its not condition one, its a two I have a Garde OR helme that is marked as a 111. We don't really know, at least I don't what criteria they used to determine these condition marks. The date 1902 represents the year this was accepted by the Regiment into stores.

Hi Eric,

Looks like there is also a date – 1902. Nice grouping! I would be extremely interested in a bunch of pictures of the one on the bottom right with the cross. The cross seems to be absolutely huge – 36 mm?

Joe,

I will measure the cross and then do a posting on that helmet as well, so as to get you some more info. It will be about a week or so as I am going TDY again in the morning.

Is there any way to identify the unit besides it being the 1st Squadron of ?? Regiment?

I love this forum and have been lurking for about a year waiting for a good time to post. I appreciate this great community of folks.

Any other markings Eric, there seems to be something beside that 1902 date......??

Brian,
No other markings that I have found. There appears to have been sticker or marking next to the other one (like a name tag I have seen other helmets) but there is just residue now from what I can tell. I will continue to look though and maybe I can find something more.

v/r
Eric

Hi Eric, welcome to the forum, nice dragoner, but I’m also curious about that helmet in the front row on the right, :-k that bird has some long feathers!

I'd also like to welcome you! That's a nice grouping for the 'past few months' of collecting, well done! I think we landed at Wiesbaden on the way back to Iraq, but that was ten years ago, so I'm not sure.

:D Ron

Yes, that far right helmet has an interesting wappen on it almost like a customs eagle. The spike being short suggests an older helmet according to what I have been told, I have one like it in my parts box. I look forward to seeing those pics specific to that helmet. That is a very nice collection Eric, you have definitely been infected with "Haubmania" !

mauihiu said:
Ron,
I've always landed in Ramstein going to and from Iraq and Afghanistan. 8)

Yes, that could have been it, but it looks a lot busier than where we landed, which was west of the Rhein. This place was pretty much closed except for the refueling operations and the building (restaurant, lounge, gift shop) where we waited for the plane to be fueled. Like I said, it's been quite a while, nine or ten years now.

:D Ron

Hi Gents,

I would think the regiment stamp is left, near the date 1902.
Just try to clean this area very carefully and you will discover it :wink:

Philippe

Back