19 UR Leutnant

I like this one! But obviously someone did not...
See how the Tschapka is tilted. I wonder if this was done only for the picture.

He looks like his parents are making him take the picture.
Totally aloof.
But great for the subject matter.
Thanks for sharing .

Die Tschapka wurde immer schief getragen. If man bedenkt, dass der Paradebusch noch auf dem Helm ist, würde der Helm durch die Gewichtsverlagerung vom Kopf fallen. So verteilt sich das Gewicht. So weit diese Art, es ohne den Busch zu tragen.

I was under the impression that there was a regulation (unsure if was written or unwritten) for Uhlans, that the helmet was to be worn at an angle with the left visor side trim at 1 finger width above the left eyebrow. This regulation did not apply when chinscales were in use.

I was under the impression that there was a regulation (unsure if was written or unwritten) for Uhlans, that the helmet was to be worn at an angle with the left visor side trim at 1 finger width above the left eyebrow. This regulation did not apply when chinscales were in use.
You are correct, John. The Tschapka was supposed to be tilted 2-3 cm to the right, leaving the visor at the level of the right eyebrow. This is how you frequently see Tschapkas worn on period pictures. Sometimes, the helmet was exaggeratedly inclined, like on the picture above. Of course, these measurements also depended on the shape of the head. What you never see, though, is the Tschapka tilted to the left.

Back