1910 Kürassier helmet - any alarm bells?

Bungo

Hello all,

I'm considering purchasing a 1910 Kürassier helmet, but I have bugger all experience with Imperial metal helmets, having only dipped my toe with leather pickelhauben before.

Can you experts please run your eyes over the attached photos from the seller and see if it rings any alarm bells for you?

As always, thanks in advance to the brains trust here!

Cheers,

Bungo

Here are a couple of links to photos of other helmets:

http://www.militaria-online.de/artikelnr_39" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://masas-attic.jugem.jp/?eid=19" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The only thing that really makes me wonder is the rounded corners to the visor, which are typical of repro shells. Perhaps somebody here knows of a manufacturer who made them that way, but I am unfamiliar with that variation. The helmet in the top link has a one piece cape, I don't know about the other. The screws holding the chin strap in place are usually domed, whereas these are flat (another variation?) and as the cockades indicate, this is not an officer helmet (or am I wrong on that?), which would account for the wider trim around the edges of the shell.
Take a look behind the plate and at the back of the plate, get it in your hands, see if it all looks correct and go from there. Also take a look at the thread on Pickelhaube Discussion about screws and such for pickelhaube, in reference to the ones holding on chin scales. I wish I'd have seen that many years ago. It's very instructive.
On the other hand, the flow of trim around the bottom of the dome and along the cape (as well as the cape contour) look good, which isn't always the case with repro shells.
I'd like to hear what others think, I may be being a bit too critical here.

:D Ron

Bungo,

This seller also has a JzP for sale. It has a fake liner and when I contacted him to ask about the makers mark - which is conveniently blurred in the photos I got a blank reply. Something to hide?

Ron's comments about the shape of the visor are a big worry. I have several kuirassier / officer helms and have only seen the rounded edges on repros. Also look at the price. A little too good to be true. That being said I thought long and hard on this one.

I believe the wappen and the trefoils could be original - if not they are bloody good copies. The mounting screw is incorrect. I like the spike and base, but would have loved for better photos from the seller.

I note that this item is now sold.

Steve

skelts1974 said:
Bungo,

Ron's comments about the shape of the visor are a big worry. I have several kuirassier / officer helms and have only seen the rounded edges on repros. Also look at the price. A little too good to be true. That being said I thought long and hard on this one.

I believe the wappen and the trefoils could be original - if not they are bloody good copies. The mounting screw is incorrect. I like the spike and base, but would have loved for better photos from the seller.

Steve

Agreed 100%. I guess somebody liked it.

The alarm bells are all over the place as already has been pointed out by the others, but the liner looks reproduction too... Anyway, it's not one we would like to have in our collection...

Adler 1

Thanks gents.

I've got some homework to do before I start my Kürassier collection, obviously! ;)

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I *love* this forum. The wealth of knowledge here is amazing. Thank you.

Bungo

Bungo ,
I posted my latest Kurassier here ,with detailed shots.

http://www.pickelhaubes.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9259" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It’s an untouched example ,the dead giveaway is always the liner ,but don’t explain that to the fakers. :-$

Spiker said:
Bungo ,
I posted my latest Kurassier here ,with detailed shots.

http://www.pickelhaubes.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9259" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It’s an untouched example ,the dead giveaway is always the liner ,but don’t explain that to the fakers. :-$

Ed, that still makes me smile to look at... a super example.

Back