1910 Model Prussian or Saxon Krätzchen ??

Steve Nick

I’ve had this Krätzchen in my collection for probably 30 years or more. My primary interest has been Pickelhauben and I picked this up in a trade as a representative example of what the Army wore in the field when the Pickelhaube or Stalhelm wasn’t required.

It's well marked. However, the Bekleidungs Ampt is that of the 19th Army Corps which is Saxon although the Landeskokarden is Prussian and looks to me as being original to the piece.

Any thoughts as to why this is?

The 16 marking I interpret as being the year of issue. The 57 indicates sizing which is Small.

The blurred marking I can’t make out other than the 07 R. Is this a unit marking?

The camo band, although of the adjustable type has been tack sewn to keep it in place. It’s in pretty nice shape with zero mothing.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Attachments

• DSC_1283 Re-Sized.jpg
    DSC_1283 Re-Sized.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 1,206
  • DSC_1280 Re-Sized.jpg
    DSC_1280 Re-Sized.jpg
    375.9 KB · Views: 1,206
  • DSC_1287 Re-Sized.jpg
    DSC_1287 Re-Sized.jpg
    465.3 KB · Views: 1,206
  • DSC_1291 Re-Sized.jpg
    DSC_1291 Re-Sized.jpg
    385.3 KB · Views: 1,207
  • DSC_1290 Re-Sized.jpg
    DSC_1290 Re-Sized.jpg
    353.4 KB · Views: 1,206
I think the stamp inside maybe for the 106th (7th Royal Saxon) Infantry "King George", XIX Corp. But, the Land kokarde should be Saxon. Then again, the ban may not have been originally with the cap (I believe both the cap and ban are original). Appears to be a nice cap set.

aicusv said:
I think the stamp inside maybe for the 106th (7th Royal Saxon) Infantry "King George", XIX Corp. But, the Land kokarde should be Saxon. Then again, the ban may not have been originally with the cap (I believe both the cap and ban are original). Appears to be a nice cap set.

I hadn't thought that the camo band could have been added independently by someone in a Prussian unit after the cap was issued. That's a possibility, Could the owner have been transferred to a Prussian unit?

There is some rust staining behind the Prussian Kokarde, but the Kokarde seems to be less rusty than the Reichs-Kokarde above. Is the back of the Prussian Kokarde rusty? If not, it might have been replaced at some later date

As to the how and why this cap and band came to be anyones guess. As the cockade is stitched to the band it could be a Saxon soldier was handed it and told to put it on. Usually these bands have a button hole in which the Land cockade passes through, but many times you'll find them as your's is.I have one that has two Land cockades, one attached to the cap and another to the band.
I know that the German army would collect no longer needed items, clean them up and reissue them. The US Army use to have a tailor shop located with their hospitals. Uniforms from those brought in would be cleaned, repaired , and reissued. If needed they would make one uniform out of two.

Lars13 said:
There is some rust staining behind the Prussian Kokarde, but the Kokarde seems to be less rusty than the Reichs-Kokarde above. Is the back of the Prussian Kokarde rusty? If not, it might have been replaced at some later date

Both kokardes are rusty on the reverse, but one is no worse than the other.

aicusv said:
As to the how and why this cap and band came to be anyones guess. As the cockade is stitched to the band it could be a Saxon soldier was handed it and told to put it on. Usually these bands have a button hole in which the Land cockade passes through, but many times you'll find them as your's is.I have one that has two Land cockades, one attached to the cap and another to the band.

Both Kokardes are stitched to the body of the cap, although the gauge of the thread varies. The Reichkorarde has a two strand thread while the Prussian Kokarde has a heavier three strand thread which tells me that the Prussian Kokarde was stitched on later.

Thanks for offering your thoughts gentlemen.

Back