1918 Stahlhelm - Dark Humour?

Steve Nick

Re. the Title, I was always intrigued by the small ochre circle painted right in the middle of his forehead. Talk about tempting fate ? Or maybe just an example of the dark humour prevailing in the last months of the war? On another forum it was suggested that the circle was an Eastern European good luck symbol so, maybe the soldier had roots in that area.

Condition wise it's as good an example as I've ever had the opportunity to have on my shelf.

This is an ET 62 although the 2 isn't clear. The Heat Lot number appears to be BD 555 (although the last digit isn't very distinct)

A couple of other interesting things about this helmet.

It looks like the owner hand wrote his name and the details of his unit on one of the liner pads. I'd appreciate any thoughts as to what it says as I haven't had much luck in trying to decypher it.

The underside of one of the liner fingers had an oval stamp which I can't make out. Maybe someone recognizes the maker by the shape of the stamp?

The rivets are all the same thickness (not thicker at the rear of the helmet)

Attachments

• 1918 Front 2 Re-Sized.jpg
    1918 Front 2 Re-Sized.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 1918 Left Side Re-Sized.jpg
    1918 Left Side Re-Sized.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 1918 Right Side Re-Sized.jpg
    1918 Right Side Re-Sized.jpg
    287 KB · Views: 30
  • 1918 Rear Re-Sized.jpg
    1918 Rear Re-Sized.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 1918 Chinstrap Reverse Re-Sized.jpg
    1918 Chinstrap Reverse Re-Sized.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 1918 Liner 2 Re-Sized.jpg
    1918 Liner 2 Re-Sized.jpg
    328.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 1918 Liner Maker Stamp Re-Sized.jpg
    1918 Liner Maker Stamp Re-Sized.jpg
    377.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 1918 Owner Name Re-Sized.jpg
    1918 Owner Name Re-Sized.jpg
    332.2 KB · Views: 42
Thanks Tony. I have a 1916 a 1917 and this one as examples of Stahlhelms. This one is the best of the three.

Before I collected pickelhaubes I collected German Camo helmets.
I had a helmet with a ochre triangle on the front with about a 3 inch black circle drawn in the triangle.
I wished I had taken a pic of it.
All gone now.

These camouflaged stahlhelmes are certainly commanding high prices these days. I am lucky to have bought two back in the 80’s which I still own. One of these still has it’s original M95 brass fittings chin strap.

Hello everyone! For me this helmet is model 16/31 produced in 1931-34 for the Reichswehr without the characteristic lower rivet.Regards.
Wojtek

Attachments

• 95161123_m.jpg
    95161123_m.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Hello everyone! For me this helmet is model 16/31 produced in 1931-34 for the Reichswehr without the characteristic lower rivet.Regards.
Wojtek
Hello Wojtek. The Transitional were first used by Reichswehr in 1919 and can be a M16 or M18 shell. Then again by the Third Reich 1933 onward. Your shell is an M18 (no rivet).

Only on the 1941 Transitionals with M16 shells do you see the old M91 chinstrap lugs removed and replaced with a rivet. I have examples of all of these.

Here is a standard M18 ET64 made by Eisenhüttenwerke Thale A.G., Thale /Harz. Condition is close to unissued with storage scuffs and handling wear only. What looks like two scratches on a front liner pin, are actually two small painted lines. No idea why. Chinstrap bales, carbine clip, and corresponding buckle still have almost 100% of the paint. Inside the dome the paint is absolutely as new with a clear dome steel stamp lot BD520. Pads are as new, never worn with only storage age, and soft as a baby's bum according to Father O'Reilly. No string has ever been threaded through the fingers of the pads. Shell size 64 is ink stamped in black on the back of the skirt. Chinstrap shows the most age, not brittle, a little dry but solid with one small repair. From what I have seen, M18 straps take a beating not only because of rather weak leather, but also as a result of how they hang and attach, which would explain why so many M18s have no straps. Perfect clear maker stamp of Otto Koch & Co Berlin and 1918 date on the chinstrap buckle side.

M18_ET64_1.jpg
M18_ET64_3.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you Tony for clarifying the topic! In European literature this helmet appears as a 16/31 model for the Richswehr, and the m.18 is a telephony helmet that had a different shape. From what you wrote, these books can no longer be taken seriously. Greetings.
Wojtek

Back