1st Pickelhaube of 2009

Tony without Kaiser

Departed
Staff member
Well, its after midnight here, so here is the first Pickelhaube of 2009 on the Forum.

Doesn't look like much? Look again....

I have been looking for an original non-converted one of these for many years. I have seen several over the years that had started out life as this model, but all had been upgraded with eagle Wappens or spikes.

It is much heavier than I expected, with a wonderful unit marking and it has the perfect date. What date would you like to see on one of these??

Have a look HERE for the photos and a write-up. Enjoy, and Happy New Year! :eek:ccasion9:

dbh76.jpg

Extremely nice. Great patina! I do not quite agree with you, though, that non-converted 1891 models are seldom found. I have a few that are all genuine. Or maybe I was just lucky...
My very best wishes for 2009
Bruno

I'm pleased you all enjoyed this, and more so that you recognize that it is not a common M95. I am amazed at how heavy it is (almost like an M1871) and could not be more delighted that it retains the original chinstrap, and it has never (for reasons I cannot understand) had the M1887 Reich's Kokarde mounted, which would have left a shadow on the lacquer. The overall condition is amazing; the front visor is near perfect; a testament I suppose to these thick, early helmets. And like the rear visor, it is huge.

dbh76p.jpg

Peter, I'm well past 101.

Brad, I shop mostly from friends. This example came to me from my Corps Friend (Semper Fi!) Bryan freshly back safe and sound from Iraq. (Thank you Bryan Whoo-Ha! (uh... is that the correct Marine grunting sound?)

Bruno, you are fortunate to have several M91s. I am rather isolated here, perhaps your geographical location, plus access to the European market has helped you locate what I found so agonizingly elusive. I have literally searched for 20 years for one these. I know it looks to some who will read this like an common M95, but its not, and there are so many unique characteristics; so it fills a important gap in my collection, as I collect patterns.

The great irony, I bought it thinking from the poor photos, that it was just a nice M1895. I had no idea it was an M1891 until I pulled it out of the box. I opened the parcel, and almost cracked my jaw it flopped open so wide.....
jawdrop.gif

It's good to be reminded in such a spectacular way that this type exists. I'd kind of forgotten about this patten and would have purchased it thinking the same as you Tony, probably even from GOOD photo's that it was just a very clean M1895. You must have thought Christmas came early when you realized what it actually was that you were holding.

It's a good example of those longer side-posts too.

Congratulations on yet another great find.

Hey - I just thought, I hope that you haggled the price down for it having only the one Kokard!! ;-)

Hey Tony,

Very cool. I'm glad to see the first pickelhaube of the New Year is this particular one. Always happy to help a fellow "up from the ranks" officer and wiener dog lover. Any time-line on when you will be posting the other ones?

OOOH RAAH, KILL!

Semper Fi,

Bryan.

Back