2018 de-activation laws

woznotwos

I'm hearing that any weapons de-activated before 2018 are no longer considered de-activated but called ''defectively de-activated'' and therefore cannot be sold on . I guess this is why Ryton Arms in the UK went bust . Does anyone know of a company in the UK that can effectively de-activate and re-certificate to meet the new standards ? :D

This reinforces how lucky we are in the US, a few years ago I was asked by a teacher to bring a display to a school, I called the school principal to make sure it was OK. I told him I would be bringing a display that included rifles, bayonets, handguns, fighting knives and grenades. He said that it would be OK but he asked me to have the firearms unloaded. In our area, deactivated means all ammunition is removed from the chamber and magazine.

Not sure I would agree with you Gustav. Yes our UK deactivation rules have yet again changed but if I had the choice between US dummy gun v UK dear it would be UK deac. every time. A dummy side plate is not the same as all original. However the real issue is that Display items in any state/configuration are display and not the same as live.
What I guess is a real issue for US ‘live owners’, as an observer, is that as always a minority are spoiling it for the vast majority who are law abiding. These multi-victim shoot outs are terrible so whether in months/years to come your laws remain will be a challenge. Also and not a criticism, availability of parts for live firing of MGs I understand is also a challenge due to your laws so no wonder these 3D printer/manufacturer people are working overtime!
Mark

Woznotwas I am also keen to know who has taken up the challenge of following the latest regs!
Mark

Part for full auto weapons in the US is not a problem. The only part on a MG that is regulated is the side plate. It is permitted to replace the side plate with one that allows the piece to operate in semi - auto mode, no registration or license required. That is the Federal regulations, some ill informed States have different regulations. Browning 1917 Heavy MG in photo is a semi.
oaks.jpg

woznotwos said:
Does anyone know of a company in the UK that can effectively de-activate and re-certificate to meet the new standards ? :D

I see certificates come by here in The Netherlands from this UK compagny https://www.gunmakers.org.uk/the-proof-house/

And this is a good piece of reading about the problem with Vickers W01 machinegun https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-norfolk-48549105

aicusv said:
The only part on a MG that is regulated is the side plate.

Just my two cents, and I hope I am not stepping on toes, but that is only partially accurate. This is true for belt-fed machine guns, but for other automatic weapons it is the receiver that makes it a "machine gun." This is why the receiver needs to be cut and shortened by at least half an inch or replaced with a solid receiver.

I'm good friends with the owners of IMA-USA and they've explained the rules on this change all the time. It is a moving target, no pun intended.

Peter - you are correct , in that the side plates regulations are for MG's and not sub-machine guns. The actual wordage of the Uniform Firearms Act states side plate, this has been taken to mean the receiver on pieces that do not have separate side plates. I never heard nor read anything about the half inch shortening. What it does state is that the semi-auto conversion has to be such that it can not be returned to full auto. There is also a special case in dealing with '08 Maxims (our group currently have two undergoing restoration) due to the location of the serial number.

My original comment was not meant to go into detail of US gun laws, but to comment on the difference between the UK demil and US regulations. I've dealt with a coupe of UK demils and they were a lot of extra work to restore.

The half inch is actually the addition of two cuts that remove a quarter inch of material. Our European friends are not talking about full auto weapons, I think they are talking about the run of the mill rifle, pistol and revolvers we almost take for granted.

Thanks for clarifying Gus. It is very confusing and this is why I'm careful when I buy "dummy guns" as we call them in the USA.

I've seen Sten Guns and others where someone built them and they are "too good." I made a guy really nervous at SOS when I saw he had a Sten Gun that had the entire bolt assembly and firing pin. The newly made receiver just wasn't attached to the trigger assembly and I think if you pulled back the bolt and let it go it could cycle and would fire a full clip until empty. The seller point out that there was a pin to keep the round from going down the barrel. I explained that would just cause the gun to blow up and probably kill you in the process!

Back