2020 Show-of-Shows: THANK YOU from the OVMS

Well, it's over for another year. Speaking for myself, this was one of the most interesting SOS events that I have ever attended, and I have been to all but the first one. There were hiccups, of course - there will always be a few things that go haywire, but all in all, it was quite smooth from an OVMS perspective. We saw very heavy attendance. Not sure what the public numbers were yet (the office staff has yet to run the tapes and tally those numbers) but I would bet it was a record. Lots of families, new collectors, and young collectors - a real challenge to the stereotype that this is an old man's hobby.

Honestly, I think one of the major factors driving people to attend this show was the very positive buzz on the forums and on facebook. Remember this - every time you post something positive about this (or any other show), you are contributing substantially to the success of the event. Sharing the event ad, posting encouraging things, photos of the items you scored while at the event - it all adds up to happy 'buzz'. That group effort does not go unnoticed, and it is sincerely appreciated.

There seemed to be just a generally better mood at the show as well. There were a few years there when I thought we might actually run low on taser cartridges, flex cuffs, and ketamine.. but this year most everyone seemed to be on their best behavior. Sales were brisk, and the bulk of the dealer complaints were that they were so busy at their tables that they never got much of an opportunity to get away and see the show!

There are plenty of things that can be improved for future years, but if the Show-of-Shows is any indication, 2020 is going to be a GREAT year for militaria shows. If you attended - thank you. If you could not attend, but said happy things online about the show - thank you. This show was a success because of the enthusiastic support of the collecting community!

Hi Jeff,

Thanks to you and all those involved in making this one of the very best S.O.S. that I can ever remember! :salute: :salute: =D>

My "hat" goes off to you guys and gals that are involved in making this show such a great success!

The public crowd was great on Friday & Saturday, and it's promising for the hobby to see all the younger collectors that were there this time!

Congratulations, and thanks for doing such a fantastic job! :bravo:

Best Regards,

Alan

Hey Alan,
Those younger collectors have been there all along. SOS is the best show in the world, the people who attend are great and the people who put is on do not get enough thanks for the work they do. About the only complaint I heard was that you had to wait 4 hours after getting your packet before you could get in the hall to set up. I talked with Bil about that problems and we found a great solution. For those who want to set up right after they get their packet, they need to come a few minutes before 5:00 and there will be no lines for the packet and they can go right on in.

J.LeBrasseur said:
Great show and Great people, and other then Gus being aloud in, all is good!

James
That is your fault, you got the pass for me.

We can't go back in time unfortunately - and right now who wouldn't rather be at SOS? So I wrote up a Best in Show Of Shows for GunPowdermagazine.com.

Not the same as being there, but it beats feeling depressed today:
https://www.gunpowdermagazine.com/best-in-the-ohio-valley-military-show-of-shows/

Back