236 boards

aicusv

I recently came across a pair of slip on field/grey boards with a red chain stitched 236 on them. I'm assuming they are for RIR 236, the question I have about them is, they are piped in green. Reserve-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 236, was assigned to the 102.Reserve-Infanterie-Brigade, of the 51st Reserve Division, XXVI Reserve Corps. Would these boards be for 1914? Were the XXVI Reserve Corps boards trimmed in green? The boards are with a 1915 field blouse, could they be correct for this uniform?
Thank you.

According to Kraus "die feldgraue Uniformierung des deutschen Heeres 1907-1918" the piping for RIR 233-240 was set on 20.8.1914 as hellgrün (light green). The regiments were raised in Sept 1914, and piped slip-on shoulder straps with red stitching would be correct for 1914.

In theory the 1915 uniform should have narrower field grey shoulder straps with red stitched numerals and white piping for infantry, and be sewn-in rather than slip-on, but I have the impression that older shoulder straps were also worn with the new 1915 Bluse, at least during some transition period.

Would love to see a picture; how wide are the straps? (they should be 5.5 cm for 1914)

Regards, Lars

They might still be wearing piped slip-on shoulder straps on this undated photo of the III Zug, and at least one seems to have lighter piping:

There appears to be an issue with posting photos. This the best I can do for now,
20ab1iv.jpg

Thanks, but it isn't mine. It belongs to a buddy - I'm just trying to figure out the boards, if they are right or not. I believe the blouse to be original and the boards to be original, but do they go together?

The photos are great - thanks for sharing. Interesting that the NCO is wearing a mounted belt and riding boots.

Back