3 Photo Albums To An Artillery Officer Cadet

Mike Huxley

Well at last here's what I have. After feeling sorry for Joe and taking pity on him I've managed to sort out what I have on a very young Officer Cadet.

The three albums belonged to a "Karl Hühnlein", he was born 10 May 1900, and was a member of the Royal Bavarian Corps of Cadets from 1913 to 1917. He was listed in the Verzeichnis Ehem. K.B. Kadettenkorps, issues of December 1955 and June 1969. In both, he was a Rechtsanwalt (Attorney) living in Bad Tölz, at Amorplatz in 1955, and Marktstrasse 57 in 1969. 1955 he listed himself as "Leutnant aD" but 1969 has "Hauptmann aD." As a Cadet Corps member, presumably a "regular" for the Leutnant part, but commissioned charakterisiert after the war on discharge and so not listed in the Ehren Rangliste. The "Hauptmann" part must either have been zV or dR zV in WW2. He was certainly a nephew of NSKK Korpsführer Adolf Hühnlein.

The albums are small at only 4"x4" and contain 49 photo's from his time as an NCO in Officer training at Metz in 1917. The interesting part of the photos is the mix of uniforms shown at this date and the fact that Pickelhaubes are being worn. There are a few pictures of officers that I've been able to tract down the identity of as well.

Here goes then ..... I'll post a few pics at a time.

I believe Karl is the guy on the extreme left in this shot.
pc008099ow.jpg

The next three shots show the putting together of a very old looking field gun. Practice makes perfect I think. Take a look at the mix of uniform periods here .... remember this was 1917 !!!!

pc008083xf.jpg

pc008070kh.jpg

pc008064dv.jpg

I'll post more later

Rendsburg said:
I think the youngster is the smoking guy on the deep left,

Otto, you may well be right about Karl being the one smoking ... the name of those in the picture are written below it, but not in a good possition to make out who they are.

A couple more for the collection now. This one could be of a very young :D Gus getting dressed up for his avatar. Again notice the mix and match of the uniforms.

pc007067ko.jpg

A line up with Pickelhaubes.

pc006098cl.jpg

This is a REAL treasure. I know someting about Prussian cadets, precious little about Saxon and less about Bavarians. Is there a way in the albums to trace his education? Vorstadtt? Pictures of the Academy in Munich? Anything about ages or qualifications? When did he get his Arbitur?

Keep it comming; Or else my dog gets it....

Hi Mike:
I am just getting caught up here. Many thanks for the posts. I would presume that a mix of different uniform styles would be typical for a cadet situation. The reservists always got the cast off helmets of the regular line Regts. I think that we all have seen pics of trainees as late as 1917 with the white pants and dblau tunics. Better still the pics of soldaten with cordury trousers and M10 tunics. Brian

Back