5th Dragoon Guards Helmet

Peter_Suciu

I've wanted a nice cavalry helmet for a while. I'm very happy with this one
from the 5th (the Princess Charlotte of Wales's) Regiment of Dragoon Guards.

british_dragoon1_big1.jpg

Hi

regiment which became through diffirent almagations/mix:
in 1922: the 5th/6th Dragoons
then: the 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards
and finally: The Royal Dragoon Guards

Best regards

Eric

My Great Grandfather served with the Fifth Dragoon Guards for ten years. Served in India and then was in the Boer War and took part in the cavalry charge at the Battle of Elandslaagte. Very jealous of your helmet!

I have an original Helmet Plate, Cap Badge and one of his medals. I had to get a copy made of his second medal as they were split up amongst the family for some crazy reason and don't know where the other one went. Luckily I have copies of his service records so was able to know what bars to add to the Queen's South Africa medal.

Cheers.

Peter

IMG_1577.jpegs-l1600.jpegIMG_1578.jpeg

Thanks very much. He was quite a character.

I actually have two service records for him. The first one was when he ran away from home underage and joined up but was found out and sent home. I had thought that was just an interesting family story until I came across the two records and sure enough that was what was marked in the first one.

Cheers.

Peter

My Great Grandfather served with the Fifth Dragoon Guards for ten years. Served in India and then was in the Boer War and took part in the cavalry charge at the Battle of Elandslaagte. Very jealous of your helmet!

I have an original Helmet Plate, Cap Badge and one of his medals. I had to get a copy made of his second medal as they were split up amongst the family for some crazy reason and don't know where the other one went. Luckily I have copies of his service records so was able to know what bars to add to the Queen's South Africa medal.

Cheers.

Peter

View attachment 14005View attachment 14007View attachment 14004

Hi Peter,

I have extensively researched the 5th Dragoon Guards. If you let me know his name, I can let you know if he is mentioned in a regimental source.

Barney

Hi Peter,

I have extensively researched the 5th Dragoon Guards. If you let me know his name, I can let you know if he is mentioned in a regimental source.

Barney
Hi Barney.

I have done a bunch of research as well and have his two service records from Ancestry. He ran away from home and enlisted when he was underage and got found out and released. He then re-enlisted when of age and ended up in the 5th Dragoon Guards. He was Corporal George Abraham Deville (SN: 4554) of the 5th Dragoon Guards. Anything you find out would be greatly appreciated. He served in India and the Boer War.

Cheers.

Peter

Hi Barney.

I have done a bunch of research as well and have his two service records from Ancestry. He ran away from home and enlisted when he was underage and got found out and released. He then re-enlisted when of age and ended up in the 5th Dragoon Guards. He was Corporal George Abraham Deville (SN: 4554) of the 5th Dragoon Guards. Anything you find out would be greatly appreciated. He served in India and the Boer War.

Cheers.

Peter
Hi Peter,

Sadly, no mention of him in any regimental source, other than Appendix II in The Green Horse In Ladysmith, which is a list of all soldiers serving with the regiment at the time the book was published in 1901.

All the best,

Barney

Back