6th Cavalry M1917

Lost Skeleton

This M1917 helmet features unique individual and unit markings traced in the cork/sawdust texturing: "AEF," two overseas chevrons, the initials "LG," and 6th cavalry crossed sabers. The M1917 is also fitted with a split chinstrap.

P1010542.jpg

The tools of the trade are a M1911 Colt manufactured in 1913 and M1912 Cavalry holster.

6th.jpg

P1010551.jpg

Close-up of the cavalry insignia:

P1010483.jpg

And, for you weapons enthusiasts (George, Steve, Dick), a shot of the M1911.

P1010544.jpg

The 6th Cavalry was engaged in the Punitive Expedition against Pancho Villa in 1916-1917 prior to embarking for France. The regiment saw little fighting and returned to the U.S. in 1919. Due to the overseas chevrons, the helmet was personalized postwar.

Chas.

Love that grouping. Oldest .45 I ever shot was 1940's Remington. At the time, I remember being disappointed with not having a Colt. I'd settle for that Remington today!

Thanks for the kind words, guys. George, do you have any pictures of your Remington Rand? There was a very interesting article recently in On Point chronicling the history of the M1911. Had it not been for NATO's adoption of the 9 mm Beretta, U.S. forces might be using the M1911A1 today.

Chas.

I lost out on an 1911 dated 1913 it had a previous owner scratch "mary on the left side of the slde .The owner that had it drcided to "convert this pistol for competition shooting" , or destroying it. I passed on it as it was really not recoverable. Another friend picked a 1914 Canadian Private purchse Candian issue with the man's Medals and paper's, he was serving with the 20th Battalion CEF.
Nice to see that piece though.
mark

Back