800 Pixels, Please?

Lost Skeleton

Dear Lowest-Bidder Admin Help:

This inquiry was intended for the "Forum Updates" thread, which is locked.

Regarding image width, 700 pixels, in my opinion is still diminutive. When someone posts an eBay link with a mile of irrelevant code after the item number, it extends full window requiring horizontal scrolling, whereas photos are restricted to a fraction of the standard space available.

Virtually all the landscape pictures I post measure no more than 11 inches (864 @ 72 ppi, and are less than 65K). I just don't understand how this taxes the capabilities of any monitor on the market. Mine is set for a resolution of 1680 x 1050, and the lowest functional resolution I can select is 800 x 600, which would look absurd.

For those who find scrolling annoying, the real solution is for people not to post those poster sized 1MB photos.

May I please request the image width be increased to 800?

Thank you for your consideration.

Chas.

Lost Skeleton said:
This inquiry was intended for the "Forum Updates" thread, which is locked.//May I please request the image width be increased to 800?

That is up to Brian. As soon as he says 'yes' I can change that to 800 pixels in about 30 seconds. I see no problem with upping it another 100 pixels. Brian?

The issue with the text on threads (such as painfully long ebay links) getting bumped out to the right, is an issue I am working at every night, asking for help on phpBB forums etc, it does not look good for there being a fix, as there was a lot of 'tinkering' it seems with the forum code.

The "Forum Updates" thread is locked, as it was starting to harvest "thank you for helping' postings, when I would prefer it to only be a "here are the updates" thread. :grommit: Tony

Lost Skeleton said:
// Virtually all the landscape pictures I post measure no more than 11 inches (864 @ 72 ppi, and are less than 65K). // For those who find scrolling annoying, the real solution is for people not to post those poster sized 1MB photos.

Chas, things are looking positve to go up to 800 pixels in width in the near future. However, it would save a lot of band width and loading time if people would please ensure their photos are no more than 800 pixels wide.

Two examples: your Remington-UMC Model 1911 photo RemUMCL.jpg posted in this thread, is is 936 X 568.

And one photo of Mike's helmet in this thread, is huge, at 1012 X 758.

Can I ask everyone then to please :stop: and ensure your photos are no wider than 800 pixels? Yes, a 6MB photo the size of a bedsheet will be automatically re-sized to 800 pixels, but your computer and your bandwidth still has to download the entire 6MB photo. Only then is it resized to prevent horizontal scrolling. :grommit: Tony

Back