83rd??????

joerookery

83.jpg

which bn.????

83%202.jpg

This is the third example of the dogs mounted in this fashion I have seen in as many weeks. Is there a date? I don't see a batallion mentioned either. Reading that style handwriting is an art form!

Hey Joe,
This card is a tough one, and I am having trouble with the place names, but here is what I have so far

Abs Wehrman Mechal Landsturm Batl Gera 83 X Komp

Feldpostkarte
an
Herrn Paul Kunzel
Gera Debwitz
Ostprusse

Marbehan 25/9
Lieber Schwester u Schwager
Sende Euch die
besten Grusse
fern von der
Heimat, mit
Gruss dien Bruder Karl

I will keep working on it with the atlas
Best wishes
Gus

Hey Joe,
Gera is right, so it is Landsturm Batl Gera 83, but I am unsure of the place name that follows Gera in the address, it sure looks to me like Debwitz, but I can not find any village with such a name, but it could have been changed to a Polish name since.

The message for those who do not read German is
Dear Sister and Brother-in-law
I send you the best greetings far from the hometown, with greetings your brother, Karl
It is dated the 25th of September, but no year
Best wishse
Gus

Gus

You will have the Big Commander's job soon! It is an art form! XIth Armee Korps!

Gera formed 2 Landsturm Btlns: 2. Ldst.-I.-Btl. Gera (XI. 13), 2. Ldst.-I.-Btl. Gera (XI. 25).

There are only 35 Btlns. listed in Busche for the XI A.K..

I have a photo of an 83rd Btln. that I have not been able to identify, I wonder . . .?

3644584855_797b7613f8_b.jpg

it sure looks to me like Debwitz, but I can not find any village with such a name
How about the district Gera-Debschwitz? Maybe the writer simply did not know the exact spelling..

In both photos, the soldier to the extreme right is wearing the Wilhelm I 1897 Erinnerungs-Medaille. As recipients of the medal, both men would have been in uniform as far back as 1897 and born circa the mid to late 1870s (certainly Landsturm material by 1914).

For additional pictures of the medal itself, Click HERE

Robert said:
it sure looks to me like Debwitz, but I can not find any village with such a name
How about the district Gera-Debschwitz? Maybe the writer simply did not know the exact spelling..
Hey Robert,
I think you are right, one of the problems with transcribing these cards (aside from the fact that I have limited German, and can not read script in my own language) is that we often encounter dialect and misspelliings, even as we do today.
Gus

Hey George,
I ma not nearly as good as Big Commander, but he has taught me well, a year ago, I would have been lucky to get 10% of this card, but I am confident that I have succeded in getting it all as it was written.
Gus

I guess the thing that got me the most on this picture was that the collar dogs came in two different varieties. One with the 83 on one side and the other type with a number split.

Hey Joe,
Those are the same numbers, they were short of numbers, so they split up a set so two soldiers could have ID, I think this may have been fairly common.
Gus

Bah humbug! I've been trying to access the forum from work - where I seem to be spending the better part of my time these days, but the firewall doesn't like anything with the word 'forum' in it.

Great photograph Joe, thanks for posting it - I'm fascinated by the obsolete and more often than not improvised Landsturm kit. I'm sure I count for at least 50 percent of hits on the Colonel J's Landsturm site whilst trying to identify some anomaly or other incongruity in a picture.

According to The German Forces in the Field November 1918:

2. Ldst.-I.-Btl. Gera (XI. 13) - Deployed to Belgium

2. Ldst.-I.-Btl. Gera (XI. 25) - Deployed to the Eastern Front

Here's a couple of similar pics.

4113989673_688cb4cbb7_b.jpg

Six friends belonging to Landsturm Infanterie Bataillon 'Reutlingen' (XIII 4) and a terrified looking mascot.

Letters on front and reverse. The letter is authored in 'New Germany' (Belgium) near Longwy on 16.9.1914 by one of the fellows depicted above, who writes to his old boss telling his that he and his friends are okay. Interestingly, he divulges detailed information about his duties and where he and his colleagues are located.

4024440008_a19b6a1166_b.jpg

Landsturmmänner from the 76th Landsturm Brigade.

And when they're not on their collars - they're on the shoulders:

3229581359_98d3735c7c_b.jpg

Cheers,

- Brett

Back