A Baden Pickelhaube für Offizier Im Reserve-Infanterie for your appraisal

meme32

Dear Members of the forum

Please could you give me your view on this Pickelhaube ?
It looks good to me but I see a faint vertical line on the left side of the Spike, like a cast mark, is that normal ?

Many thanks

Kind regards
IMG_7725.jpgIMG_7726.jpgIMG_7727.jpgIMG_7728.jpgIMG_7729.jpgIMG_7730.jpgIMG_7731.jpgIMG_7732.jpgIMG_7733.jpgIMG_7734.jpg

Totally fine and original. I have seen that vertical line on officer spikes before....no worries.

Looks like original parts but a non-original hex nut was used to attach the plate. Further it seems there are 4 holes above this nut. I would keep that in mind when making an offer.

Good eyes Sandy, I missed the hex nut but I think those "holes" may be stains in the leather?? Hard to be certain with these dark photos.

No issues with this one with the minor exception of the hex nut which is easily fixed,

I'm with James re. that Baden officer's Kokarde. It's a beauty. I've seen that vertical line in spikes before but I'm puzzled as to how it was created during the fabrication process.

Thank you so much, well spotted for the hex nut ! I missed it.
It is indeed 4 very thiny holes behind the plate.
Please find picture with the removed plate.
I am also wondering if everything is ok with the way the reserve is attached to the plate.
Thanks a lot

IMG_7748.jpgIMG_7749.jpgIMG_7750.jpgIMG_7751.jpgIMG_7752.jpgIMG_7753.jpgIMG_7754.jpgIMG_7755.jpgIMG_7756.jpgIMG_7757.jpg

The cross has been poorly applied but it is proper for this wappen. The motto is on the cross not on the wappen scroll.

Hello meme32,
You have already published a number of posts on the forum and, almost invariably, these show pictures of items for sale with the question: "Is it good or not?". We are all happy to help, when we can, fellow members who need information on a particular topic or point of detail. However, asking systematically the whole forum for an appraisal of everything that comes for sale sounds a little strange... we have all built our knowledge and collections differently, mainly by doing our homework in reference books, and learning from experience (and mistakes). Many a seasoned collector would respond to such inquiries by saying "If you don't know what you are buying, don't buy"... (which, albeit excessive, holds a part of truth).
Don't take me wrong: I am, again, always happy to help, but seeing the forum turned into a free appraisal website does not sound quite right to me; it does not match the spirit of Pickelhaubes.com. This is only my opinion though, and I would be happy to hear the position of other members.
Cheers, and good luck with the collection.

Hi 911car

As I wrote in my presentation message, I admit to being a relative beginner in the field spiked helmets, my field of expertise being weapons and French militaria.
I bought and read the reference books and did my homework to acquire some theoretical knowledge. However, when you are a beginner, when you don't know other collectors, when you don't often handle helmets, theoretical knowledge is a minimum but does not allow you to be safe from mistakes.
I am therefore a little bit surprised by your message because I thought that the forum was a friendly place for sharing knowledge allowing, among other things, to initiate the beginners collectors?

Don't they say ask first then buy?

Finally, I find your remark a bit unfair because :

1) I am always courteous and I always thank the people who give me their opinions.
2) I never ask for a financial evaluation but an opinion on the quality and authenticity of the object.
3) I don't post messages for fun because I follow the advice of the members and then I acquire the items for my collection.
4) I have also created posts to share items from my collection (The House Order of Hohenzollern grouping) but as a beginner I have few items to share.

I'm not old enough to know the spirit of the forum but if it's designed only for people with knowledge to discuss with each other, it looks like a closed club of insiders and I do think it is important to initiate young collectors for the knowledge transmission.

I'll let the moderators decide if they want to delete my account, if it is the case I'm sorry to have bothered you all guys.

Sorry also for my poor english.

Last edited:
@meme32 , no need to delete your account, please stay here. I personally started out just like you, in the field of collecting haubes.
I also alway's asked here first, before buying a helmet, so I was sure it was okay.
Even now, I sometimes ask for authenticity. Everybody has to start doing that, otherwise you might get burned, and leave the hobby disappointed.
When I first started, I showed some helmets which I thought were good, they were not. Just parts helmets, cobbled together.
So don't leave the forum, it is a great place to learn! I for one do like your posts here!

Regards, Coert.

Meme: We are not into losing new members here. We only delete spammers, people who deliberately make silly comments which have nothing to do with the hobby and those who try make trouble. Discounting spammers, you could count the number of deleted people on one hand. We are here to help new collectors with their helmet purchases but we don’t like offering price evaluations “how much is it worth”? We also try to add to the pickelhaube knowledge base, when members show some new helmet variation that they have discovered. So, stay with us, keep posting and feel free to ask questions. Your English Is also fine, no problems.

Last edited:
Dear Meme,
You are welcome to ask your questions. What Bruno wanted to say is that you should try to analyze a helmet yourself before you ask here. If you are unclear about something you can ask someone to explain it to you. You are of course right that the field of collecting is very demanding, but that is exactly what makes it so exciting.
But I don't think that we are a conspiratorial community here, of which it is difficult to become a part. I think our forum is one of the friendliest and most accommodating on the net. No one is put down or insulted here. Everyone is welcome to participate. I don't have a large collection myself and I annoy old veteran collectors to ask them to measure their helmets for me. That they actually do this for me, a relative stranger, shows how dedicated and friendly everyone here is.
Please do not give up when there is criticism. The comment was worded very politely and certainly not meant in a bad way. Everyone has an opinion and as long as you state it politely there shouldn't be a problem.
You should therefore keep going in any case. It's always nice to see that there are still curious collectors who want to find out more.

HI meme32, I am one of the few female collectors on this website. It is not difficult to be part of the group and we are very friendly towards each other. I echo Bruno (911car) and Sandy's comment. Like you I did my research and I have a more difficult start as I do not understand how the army works. I spent a lot of time self studying and reading up reference books.

When I need help, Bruno and the rest of the members are there to help and likewise I offer help whenever I can despite my busy work schedule.

So don't feel negative, you just have to learn as you progress. You cannot acquire your collection through our opinion, buying based on the limited knowledge and then research on it is the best way to learn. We may make buying mistake and that's how we learn.

Regards
Amy Bellars

Dear Meme,
You are welcome to ask your questions. What Bruno wanted to say is that you should try to analyze a helmet yourself before you ask here. If you are unclear about something you can ask someone to explain it to you. You are of course right that the field of collecting is very demanding, but that is exactly what makes it so exciting.
But I don't think that we are a conspiratorial community here, of which it is difficult to become a part. I think our forum is one of the friendliest and most accommodating on the net. No one is put down or insulted here. Everyone is welcome to participate. I don't have a large collection myself and I annoy old veteran collectors to ask them to measure their helmets for me. That they actually do this for me, a relative stranger, shows how dedicated and friendly everyone here is.
Please do not give up when there is criticism. The comment was worded very politely and certainly not meant in a bad way. Everyone has an opinion and as long as you state it politely there shouldn't be a problem.
You should therefore keep going in any case. It's always nice to see that there are still curious collectors who want to find out more.
Hey Sandy, I am not that old to be categorised as veteran collector. Lol .. Well you know we woman are very sensitive to being labelled as old

Back