A Christmas Sword

SCHUPO

Here is a example of a 1933 Christmas gift in the form of a German Mounted Police Sword. The sword is a Plain-Jane P guard sword made by WKC in 1933. The unadorned polished P guard brass hilt saber was regulation for horse mounted Polizei Offizere and this is how the sword presents. The item of issue enlisted version of this sword has a plain and unadorned polished steel P guard but is much heavier than the officer sword.

This sword is a good example of why I always pull these plain unadorned swords out of their scabbards at militaria shows to see what the blade looks like. This blade is triple etched with typical WKC floral patterns but it also bears an inscription on both sides of the blade. One side is etched, "Weinachten 1933" indicating Christmas of 1933. The other has the name and unit of the Officer, "Willy Hennes 2. L.P.G. / Beritene Abteilung Bad Aachen" indicating the Bad Aachen Mounted Police.

Most likely a Christmas gift from his wife or men in his unit.

Good Collecting and Merry Christmas!

Attachments

• Aachen LP sword.JPG
    Aachen LP sword.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Aachen LP sword hilt.JPG
    Aachen LP sword hilt.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Aachen LP WKC mark.JPG
    Aachen LP WKC mark.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Aachen Xmas etch.JPG
    Aachen Xmas etch.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Aachen 2.LPH etch.JPG
    Aachen 2.LPH etch.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 13
cptbob,

I see that you like German swords and edged weapons too. I particularly liked your threads on sword knots. I have some interesting Polizei variations of the standard Imperial German Army regulation swords that I can post if these might be of interest to you. For instance, Prussian and Wurttemberg variations for the Landes Polizei and Gendarmerie. I have also accumulated quite a few Bavarian Police variations along with Saxon examples since the fall of the wall.

Thanks for the kudos on my Weinachten sword BTW. Found that by accident because I stopped and pulled the sword out of its scabbard at a show.

Hi Schupo
Yes I do enjoy collecting swords, though I concentrate on cavalry weapons. I don’t really know much about the police swords and would love to see some.
Cheers
Bob

Thanks for the quick reply Bob.

While my main interest is in Polizei edged weapons I have collected various mounted unit variation short- & long-swords over the years and I also collect the sword knots for these swords as well. I just started a thread on Enlisted Man (EM) Mounted Police regulation swords that may be of interest to you. Readers should bear in mind the propensity of German Police Armorers to rework and re-issue older edged weapons. This explains the period of use modifications made to Police swords and the fact that earlier swords, such as Heavy- & Light-Artillery swords for instance, sometimes show up as something else in Polizei use.

George

Back