A Christmas wish for Gus.

Tony without Kaiser

Departed
Staff member
It is -15 outside and I am on leave so it was a good opportunity to take some photos and drink some beer. Besides, too cold outside with the wind to walk the Tubes.

This first fellow shows a German soldier from Preußen Infantry Regiment 83. He is wearing an issued M10 Feldrock and the standard Model 1887/1909 Field Equipment. The Pickelhaube was worn well into 1916 in the front lines so his M1895 Pickelhaube with brass fittings is covered with the cloth Überzug. He is armed with a Amberg Gewehr 98.

b20.jpg

The appearance of the German soldier changed considerably during the war. By 1918 he now wearing a M1915 Bluse and a M1916 Stahlhelm. He is armed with a Erfurt Kar 98 for trench raids and is wearing a Model 1917 Lederschutzmaske (respirator). Stuffed in his belt is a trench club and Model 1915 stick grenade. His pockets carry numerous "Ball" and "Egg" grenades. Note at his feet is a working Model 1916 Granatenwerfer.

I like to lob a few Granaten at my neighbors once in a while to keep them on their toes. :cussing:

b21.jpg

This next fellow is typical for a member of the 31st Battalion Calgary Alberta departing the Great White North for France. He is wearing Canadian Pattern Seven Button Tunic with Model 1902 Service cap. The service cap was worn in the front until 1916. The trousers and boots are Canadian pattern. He is wearing a set of 1916 Dismounted Pattern Equipment and is armed with a M1910 Ross. This rifle by the way, is an absolute delight to shoot. Incredibly accurate.

b22.jpg

The appearance of the Canadian soldier also changed considerably during the war. By 1918 he now wearing a British 5-button pattern tunic with light grey 3rd Canadian Division formation patches for the 5th Canadian Mounted Rifles Sherbrooke Quebec. This Btln only served as infantry. The service cap is now gone and he wears a Mark 1 Brodie helmet, with a faint cap badge of the 5CMR painted on the front. The trousers and boots are also now British pattern. He is wearing Pattern 1908 Web Equipment and carries a 303 Ammunition Bandoleer, Wire Cutters, and numerous No V MK I 1916 in his pockets. He is armed with a Short Lee Enfield Mark III.

b23.jpg

And for novelty, two more. The first is a member of the 1st Canadian Tank Btln. He is wearing an issued shirt and British pattern trousers with vertical pocket slits along the side seam. The tanker's face mask is leather
covered steel with mesh. He is wearing a MkI Brodie with no formation patches.

b24.jpg

Last, a member of the Royal Flying Corps (RFC). The issued flight coat belonged to Air Commander Reginald Collis who obtaining RFC Pilots License #11 and served in front-line combat until he was reported seriously injured test-flying an "armoured aircraft" in 1916. He is wearing as issued cowl helmet with a Triplex goggle mask and RFC observer's mitts.

b25.jpg

Question. What does this RFC pilot have in common with a Saudi bride? Answer: no skin showing. #-o

Hi Tony,
I had to go back a check the title of this thread, I thought it said a Christmas gift for Gus, if it had I would be on your door step in two days. Sharing the photos is a great gift though. I often visit the bunker, but the drool damages my key board, and the nose smears make it hard to read the monitor.
-15 is not that cold, it is not like it is real degrees anyway, in real temperature it is barely below zero.
I would like to point out the third photo, the only complete set of Canadian pattern 1916 gear that I have seen. Canada must over pay their military, remember that this fabulous collection was amassed on an OR's pay.
Great collection, and thank you for sharing.
Merry Christmas
Gus

Otto,
Maggie says that she does not care, +39 degrees is not real temperature anyway. It is a very warm +41 in real degrees here now. Dave, back off, no way will I return those gifts.
Best wishes
Gus

Tony,

Many thanks for showing a fantastic display and describing each uniform in detail. Although I know Gus hankers after these groupings, I think they are safer in Canada. At least Canada and the UK are still connected :)

Back