A donated cuirassier

joerookery

CurEM.jpg
What caught my eye on this one is the difference in M 94 mounts and my screw in model. I'm also wondering on these Currasier helmets. If a size mark, but no unit mark is indicative of some sort of private purchase.
right.jpg

Jeesh, Joe!

That's one heck of a ventilation hole in your helmet. Are you sure it's just not a fancy bird house?

Chas. :wink:

Chas: I thoink Joe's helmet has that seldom seen cigar cutter option that was available at extra cost. Stick the end of a cigar in the hole, twist the spike and presto the cigar is trimmed.

joerookery said:
If a size mark, but no unit mark is indicative of some sort of private purchase.

I have to admit, that is quite imaginative re: the cigar cutter. It seems Eigentumsstück helmets can be found with the screw-posts, Rosettes, or even M91 posts but these seem to be found mostly on Bayern Eigentumshelme. Perhaps Bayern was a little more anal re: the regs on these helmets, so they had to look like issued? In my opinion, a size mark would be handy for both a distributor and a Quartermaster. In fact, I would not be surprised if the polished steel shells (lowest quality for Eigentumsstück) came from the same manufacturer, supplying the Army and private business. What would be the key factor for me, is the liner and fittings. No unit markings on Ulanen and Kürassier helmets in particular, is quite common. My issued M89 examples below, no unit marking. T

dbh26.jpg

What would be the key factor for me, is the liner and fittings.

Tony how can you tell? If it looks very much the same as issue and has a leather liner - Diensthelm.... I was of course looking for a box.....proof positive that never exists.

pg20_1.jpg

spike.jpg

This dovetails into the same question I had above. Mine has size but no regimental mark. Issue or some sort of Diensthelm with an expensive cigar cutter on the side??????

Usually, I would be looking for a squared-finger liner in a Mannschaften Eigentümshelme. But when you have a helmet that looks the same as issued, the real difference is weight. Have a look at my Jäger zu Pferde here>> http://www.kaisersbunker.com/dunkelblau/helmets/dbh47.htm

Looks like an issued one basically, but it has the squared finger liner and it weighs nothing. I mean really, it weighs a fraction of what an issued one does, which would be a comfort factor in buying your own helmet in the first place.

To refer to the issue mark business again, I do not see that as a big deal in a Cavalry helmet. I have several Kürassier helme, only the GKR with chicken on top is unit marked. None of my pre-war Pelzmütze are unit marked and only one of eight or so Tschapka are unit marked. And all of these are issued. T

Back