A Garde-Küraßier-Regiment Helmet for officer - Your opinion please ?

meme32

Dear Members of the forum,

A fellow collector is offering me this helmet.
The liner has obvioulsy been changed and the black velvet at the rear tail has probably also been changed.
There is no marking / stamp on the helm.
I would be happy to get your opinion on this one.

Many thanks

Kind regards

DSCN4508.JPGDSCN4510.JPGDSCN4511.JPGDSCN4512.JPGDSCN4514.JPGDSCN4515.JPGDSCN4516.JPGDSCN4517.JPGDSCN4518.JPGDSCN4519.JPG

It's hard to say whether it's an original or a reproduction. The widths of the metal trimms, the leather of the chinscales and the star actually looked good to me, but then I saw this reproduction. With reproductions of this quality, I have doubts.

Actually Sandy if you look close at the pictures from the link you provided you will see the H logo in the bottom right corner which is from Hermann Historica.

These factories in India and Pakistan lift images and use them to sell their products, so those pictures are actually from a Helmet sold at an auction at HH and not what you will get if you buy the reproduction.

I've already fell pray to this with a Hussar Attila about two years ago. I wanted a nicely made reproduction to give to a friend who does living history and bought one from India listed on eBay. When it came It looked absolutely nothing like the one pictured and I filed a claim with eBay and got my money back because they used images of a real item to trick buyers.

This happens all the time, I still have the Hussar Attila it looks more like something Michael Jackson would have worn then any of the Kaisers Hussars. LOL

Last edited:
Actually Sandy if you look close at the pictures from the link you provided you will see the H logo in the bottom right corner which is from Hermann Historica.

These factories in India and Pakistan lift images and use them to sell their products, so those pictures are actually from a Helmet sold at an auction at HH and not what you will get if you buy the reproduction.

I've already fell pray to this with a Hussar Attila about two years ago. I wanted a nicely made reproduction to give to a friend who does living history and bought one from India listed on eBay. When it came It looked absolutely nothing like the one pictured and I filed a claim with eBay and got my money back because they used images of a real item to trick buyers.

This happens all the time, I still have the Hussar Attila it looks more like something Michael Jackson would have worn then any of the Kaisers Hussars. LOL
Good to know John Josef, thank you for the explanation. I saw the Hermann-Historica stamp, but sometimes HH also offer reproductions and I thought it was one of them.

Good to know John Josef, thank you for the explanation. I saw the Hermann-Historica stamp, but sometimes HH also offer reproductions and I thought it was one of them.
My pleasure Sandy, thats why we are all here to work together (y) As collectors its always a learning game and as a group of collectors we are much stronger if we share our bad experiences as well as our good with others.

Some of the metal work they are producing in India and Pakistan has really increased exponentially in quality, its not like it was years ago where you could see them a mile away.

Its getting pretty scary especially for new collectors. I recently saw a reproduction Cuirassier Helmet that had been artificially aged. I said something to the dealer about it being bad and they thought I was full of it. Sadly the next time I walk past it had sold.

Last edited:
They do that with British caps and all sorts , use photos of the real deal and send you a piece of KAK. Helmet looks very clean! no dents dings scratches etc etc. Rob

DSCN4512.JPG

fullsizeoutput_b6.jpeg

If you look closely and zoom in you can see subtle differences like the texture of the letters, surface behind the Eagle as well as the substitution of paint for enamel etc etc .

I'm just posting my observations to share with others.

It looks like brush strokes where the chemical was applied to produce the effect of natural aging.

DSCN4508.JPG

I could be just over annualizing things but with the prices of Helmets these days it really pays to be very cautious. I look at everything Im not 100% sure on as a reproduction until proven Original.

Back