A guard infantry officer pickelhaube

meme32

Dear members,

I am considering purchasing this Guard Infantry Officer Pickelhaube.
It looked all good to me until I noticed two details :

1. on the inside view, it looks like there is a circle shadow on the leather as if there was a plate in the past ?
  2. Also the rear star has prongs whereas the others have screw and nuts, is that a clear change the star has been changed ?

Many thanks

Kind regards

image_5750069.jpgimage_5750070.jpgimage_5750072.jpgimage_5750073.jpgimage_5750075.jpgimage_5750078.jpgimage_5750079.jpgimage_5750082.jpgimage_5750083.jpgimage_5750085.jpg

Hello Mémé32,
Nice helmet.
The circular shadow you see is normal, we often see it. As these models do not have a Teller, the leather of the shell sinks under the base of the tip.

As far as the rear star is concerned, I think it's original. In fact, the eagle is also attached with folding lugs, and with this very prominent officer's stern-guard, we are looking at a late-made M71 helmet, close to mobilisation. Normally, this very prominent star goes hand in hand with a very high tip. Here, however, we have a fairly short tip, more common before 1900. The nuts on the 2 side stars are handmade, chiselled and thick. The stars are not homogeneous, the one on the left is higher and the radii are rounder, it is an M67 star.

The problem with the stars is not a problem in itself. They could have been unscrewed and lost over the years, and replaced by the wearer, or afterwards.
On the other hand, it is essential to ensure that the point unscrews for the Haarbusch. I can't see any screws in the central ventilation hole at the bottom of the bomb.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot everyone for your replies !
Special thanks to Clovis57 for his detailed explanation about the Teller, the Stars model and the spike check that should be removable for the Haarbusch...this is something I would have missed to check.
The good news is that I again learned new things !
The not so good news is that I was not quick enough and thus helmet is already sold to another happy collector !

This one was not for me....I will have to be patient :)

Kind regards

Back