A Hausmutze Question

SCHUPO

I just picked up this Hausmutze that was advertised as a, " 'WEIMAR RECHSWEHR 1919 FIELD CAP "CRUSHER CAP'. Very nice condition green wool body 'crusher' hat. Some moth tracking and a couple of 1/16" holes but nothing bad. Inside shows some light soiling from wear and has a Berlin clothing depot stamp and dated 1923. Has some other stampings but hard to make out. Front of cap has national cockade and probably saw use into the 1930's. I'm guessing about a size 6-1/2".

I know these distinctive soft "crusher" caps were worn by the Reichswehr period Army and the Police and that Police terminology called them a "Hausmutze". I have never heard them described as a "1919 Field Cap". Is this Reichsheer terminology or collector terminology like calling them a crusher cap?

Here are some photos including one of a couple of period Hessische Polizei wearing the cap. Any insight would be helpful.

George

Attachments

• RW cap l.JPG
    RW cap l.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 14
  • RW cap r.JPG
    RW cap r.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 13
  • RW cap interior.JPG
    RW cap interior.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 14
  • RW cap issue stamp.JPG
    RW cap issue stamp.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Hessische Polizei uniforms.JPG
    Hessische Polizei uniforms.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 16
Thanks for looking and liking. Since the Police nomenclature for this cap is a Hausmutze (House Cap) I have difficulty believing the Army calls this a "Field Cap" as it was listed. Even though the cap was used for fatigue and training duty I think "Field Cap" is most likely collector terminology.

Back