A L.I.R.118 Landwehr of 1914, ex Hessian fireman.

CLOVIS 57

Still in the "ersatz" recycled for Landsturm and Landwehr.
The hull is well a shell of fireman, by unscrewing the base of point, appears the trace of the old crest "banana". The chinstrap is still a fireman's chinstrap. The neck cover had to be exchanged, as it is made of vulkanfiber. The Feldbrauchbar marking is visible on the right side, also the traces of the helmet cover hooks. It is nominative in the name of J. Kremer 11°company.
The old mounting holes of the fireman's plate, have been plugged with leather plugs, and a patch of basane (thin leather) has been glued inside, as often in this case.
The plate with the Grand Ducal Hessian Lion is of the model M67 to M91, still with the butterfly nuts.

118 LIR BB exFwr Kremer 11C.JPG118 LIR BB ex Fwr.JPG118 LIR bombe ex Fwr.JPG118 LIR mobiliation.JPG118LIR   BB ex Fwr trace banane.JPG118 LIR  Bibi (2).JPG118LIR BB Feldbrauchbar.JPG118LIR  BB J_Kremer 11K.JPG118 LIR  coiffe.JPG118 LIR lion M67.JPG

A very interesting rework showing the upgrading of old equipment. I like these reworked and re-issued items as they tell a story.

Another excellent example showing how so many helmets were reworked and reissued as the German Army expanded after 1914.

Hi Clovis,
Very interesting helmet.
I’m not sure what to think of the light brown liner; I was under the impression that this was introduced in the army in 1915 to speed up Pickelhaube production, and I’m surprised to see it on a prewar firefighter’s helmet.
Regards,
Lars

Good evening Lars,
Good point. I'll look tomorrow to see if the cap has been sewn back on, when the helmet with the military tip was worn. That said, brown liners are not uncommon among firefighters, you can even see them in police helmets. Below is an example of the Zittau Police, light beige while all my police helmets have black liners.
Another note on this subject: black liners are compliant on Kammer regulation M95s, but Eigentum M95s are often found with brown liners and sometimes even Kammer.

Attachments

• Feuerwehr PHcom.JPG
    Feuerwehr PHcom.JPG
    544.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Pol Zittau Saxe.JPG
    Pol Zittau Saxe.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 6
  • M95 pas de Teller coiffe brune.GIF
    M95 pas de Teller coiffe brune.GIF
    167.1 KB · Views: 6
  • coif Kammer JR78 fauve Lanz.jpg
    coif Kammer JR78 fauve Lanz.jpg