A little American tradition

joerookery

http://hubpages.com/education/The-Myth-and-Reality-of-the-US-Cavalry-Stetson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Joe

A fascinating article. Thanks.

Good of the author to acknowledge that 'WW1 was not solely a US Army victory'. I think the French, British and many other nations knew that already!

Patrick

The first I remember seeing these hats was in the mid 60's. Pilots in the 1st Cav. had taken to wearing them.The hats were only part of it, spurs and buck skin jackets also appeared. I even remember sabers being affixed to doors on Hueys. The name John Wayne was sometimes used referring to those who wore this hat.

I also remember the Army having a green large brim hat that folded up on one side. Later on it became part of the WAC uniform. The only name I can remember for these hats I can not put into writing here or use in polite society. :-"

I was armored cavalry (4th Cav.) in the late 1970's to mid-80's for eight years. Just before I joined the unit, the tankers had been issued black berets, similar to the ones issued in the early 2000's. I only saw one member of our unit wear the 'Cav' hat, and then only at dinings out or in. I never cared much for them, because the first person I knew to wear one was a wanna-be air cav (not a veteran) pilot where I worked and he was a prick. His line was, "This is what 'we' wore in 'Nam." and the idiot was three years younger than me! I graduated high school in 1975.. Now, these hats seem to be much more prevalent in ground Cav. units than they used to be, not that I like them any better.

By the way, I loved reading the one comment from the guy who called the author the 'hat police'. I guess some people would rather live on myth than fact. Oh well! :wink:

:D Ron

Back