A new film about WW1 by Peter Jackson

A new film by director Peter Jackson about WWI in colour is being released in the UK on 16 October. It is called THEY SHALL NOT GROW OLD

The idea is to bring colour to old black and white footages of the period, mostly taken on the battlefield.

More info over here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/entertainment-arts-45803977/peter-jackson-world-war-one-footage-brought-to-life-by-lord-of-the-rings-director

Best

Alex

I just watched the film shown today on the 100th anniversary of the wars end on BBC T.V. For me it was absolutely amazing. Starts off with regular black and white footage, then flows into colour. Its quite startling when it does. It was very strange seeing footage I have seen many times before suddenly in clear colour with sound effects and leveled out to correct speed. The film throughout is narrated by recordings of old soldiers describing their war experiences, the sound effects added to the footage in the background and tastefully done. It was very powerful stuff to watch. Well know stills such as the regularly used image of a Tommy in a captured German trench on the Somme were shown now in colour. Many of the images are now suddenly very graphic. When describing actual attacks on enemy trenches, art work was used as no actually footage of such exists. There were some issues of continuity, the famous footage of the mine explosion 1/7/16 immediately followed by tank footage, but then again it was not a documentary on any particular battle. It is all WW1 British footage, but anybody who has any level of interest in the First World War will get a lot out of watching it. Already instructed my wife to add a DVD of it to my Xmas list. Peter Jackson is well known for having an interest in WW1. I think he has done himself proud with this film

It was on BBC yesterday evening.Excellent! Won't take long before it will be on youtube ...I guess...

I just got back from watching "They Shall Not Grow Old" in the theater. It wa well worth the 120 mile dirve and the cost of admission. If you have not seen it in the US, it plays again on the 27th of this month. You can use this link to find a location near you.
https://www.fathomevents.com/events/they-shall-not-grow-old

Saw it yesterday in North Texas. Stunning on the big screen! And the 30 minute video addendum, whereby Mr. Jackson explains the making of the film and his commitment to authenticity is quite remarkable. Clearly a labour of love by Mr. Jackson.

Back