A Rare Bird, sorry I meant Griffin --- TB14

SkipperJohn

Baden used a Tschako for Train Battalion 14 from 1871 until 1903. In 1903 the Tschako was replaced with a standard issue Pickelhaube.
Here is a Model 1895 Tschako from Badisches Train-Battalion Nr. 14, Durlach, XIV Armee Korps:

UlUf4q9.jpg

This Tschako was updated in 1897 to carry the Reichs Kokarde on the right side of the helmet:

lhVKKUa.jpg

Because the Tschako incorporated a Feldzeichen no Kokarde was worn on the left side.

The Wappen is stamped brass with screw fasteners and measures 88mm from the top of the crown to the bottom center of the bandeau:

TOdMRji.jpg

The Feldzeichen is yellow and red, but the yellow has faded drastically:

56ct3I8.jpg

The Feldzeichen also shows extensive wear. Fortunately nobody ever used glue to attempt a repair:

w2F4snu.jpg

The liner is in fantastic condition. There are no marks on the inside of this helmet except for a size "59" written in pencil:

mjSKZCs.jpg

This helmet holds it's shape well considering it obviously spent time in the field:

klqKd3A.jpg

These helmets were taken out of service when Baden adopted a Pickelhaube for Train-Battalion Nr. 14:

Uxu3c9b.jpg

They were polished off again in 1914 and re-issued to the Baden Landwehr and Landsturm:

t1gEu6N.jpg

John :D

Additional note: I would like to thank Tony for his assistance with this one. I could not find any photos of this helmet in any of my reference books. On his advice I checked behind the Wappen and there is absolutely no indication that a Prussian Wappen ever sat there. The Baden Griffin has made a "ghost" indicating that it has been there for a long, long time.

Beautiful piece of history!

But I am wondering about the fact that the liner is made of brown leather...Should it not be black for this period?

Philippe
:wink:

Beautifull Helmet =D>
Thank you for your detailled describtion, it was very informative :bravo:

Excellent tschako , congratulations! That is a sweet piece that any collector would be proud to own.

J.LeBrasseur said:
Brown liners in Shako's are quite common.

Of course they are! But to my humble knowledge only from 1915 on...In Tschakos (or Hauben) with grey fittings, or put together during the war. Maybe this Tschako has been assembled by a BJA during the war because of shortage and lack of pieces, with brass fittings on a M15 base. I saw that a few times, especially at the KBAG, like the following example: M15 shell dated 1916 with brown liner, stamped on the back visor KBAG 1915 but all brass fittings and even a M91 garde wappen with screw and nuts in brass grommets. And no screwable spike!

Philippe
:wink:

J.LeBrasseur said:
Brown liners in Shako's are quite common.

James

I agree with James 100%.
Here is an example:

http://www.militaria-online.de/artikelnr_17

And another:

http://www.militaria-online.de/artikelnr_1959

Two examples in just a five minute internet search.

John

I am going to be posting pics in the restoration section shortly of a Prussian M95 dated 1917 with natural undyed liner. Fittings, are all brass but it has one brass grommet and one steel plus a black flat head split prong repair plug next to the brass grommet. A very unusual piece with no regimental markings.

Back