A RARE ONE Furstentum Waldeck Prymont

newbe

Recently sold for 21,000 EUROS.

If only.

http://www.andreas-thies.de/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Reactions: ccj
I don't like it at all. Look at how sloppy the star and the center enameled pieces are. Especially the outer ring. These should be works of art. That star and enamel looks like it was made in someone's basement. It does not even come close to the quality of a normal guard officer. :p

it looks to me like a guard dragoon with a fake star and someone got suckered. Badly.

it looks to me like a guard dragoon with a fake star and someone got suckered. Badly

Thats' a really good observation. I think you are right its looks really grubby, not officer material at all.

I agree about the wappen. I know of one other and the quality is much nicer. Note also that this is on a Fuerst plate, which is correct for most of the other states, but not this one, which should be a Koenig plate. I suspect this was a helmet from one of the other states that was missing its wappen, and this one has been created to complete it...

Ref Page 83 of the 1914 Rangeliste under the heading of Adjutanten der Deutschen Fürsten, Oberstlt. Frhr. v. Graß is the Fllugel Adjutant to the Fürst zu Waldeck und Pyrmont, so the use of Fuerst on the helmet plate would be appropriate.

Ref Page 43 of Uniformenkunde Das Deutsche heer by W. Spemann lists the helmet for the Flugel Adjutanten as that worn by the General officers. (which was pattern after the Guard Dragoon helmet).

Ref Page 254 of Pietsch says basically the same thing.

The winning bid was for 21,000 Euro then add the Auction Fee of 23% and shipping and you have a very tidy amount.

I also noted this helmet in the recent Thiess Auction. In 2002, I had the opportunity to see a wonderful and all original Waldeck Prymont Flugeladjutant in the Kurhessishes Museum outside Kassell. The quality and fine detail of the star looked far superior to the recent offering. I have included a candid photo.

jimturinetti said:
Ref Page 83 of the 1914 Rangeliste under the heading of Adjutanten der Deutschen Fürsten, Oberstlt. Frhr. v. Graß is the Fllugel Adjutant to the Fürst zu Waldeck und Pyrmont, so the use of Fuerst on the helmet plate would be appropriate.

You're right, of course. I should not have relied on Stubbs as a reference! The fully enamelled wappen as pictured above is what
I would expect of an original...

Back