A small question for our American collector friends

Jupiter66

Hi there

I have a small question for our American collector friends. I hope my question will not be difficult for you and I apologize in advance if it is.

Where can we find the model 15 mint helmets from War Bonts Helmets? These famous helmets that embellish your collections.

I have to look everywhere (Ebay, sites of international sellers,...) and it becomes very rare...

Many thanks in advance for your answers. Don't hesitate to contact me by email / forum or email if you don't want to reveal publicly your source.

[email protected]

Attachments

• img_4166-4675.jpg
    img_4166-4675.jpg
    385.3 KB · Views: 43
Tough question! These helmets were distributed all over the U.S. for War Bond events. So they could be anywhere.

I have found a couple via Ads in newspapers, etc. However, there is no way to know for certain if some of these are War Bond helmets or not, just guessing they are due to condition etc.

Now I have 2 that I got from a older relative that I know are War Bond helmets as he told me that is how he got them way back when. He now is long deceased.

I also know of a Dealer that found a small Cache of them that where never distributed and had the flyer you show with them.

James

Yes indeed a tough question.
If there was a source I am sure it would have been cleaned out decades ago.
I am lucky that I own three such helmets all pristine Prussian uhlan with metal board, Baden gray and Prussian shako with gray plate.

I had a Prussian M15 WB helmet years ago but had to sell it. I also have a copy of that document you posted. The only way to determine if you have one is by the unissued condition. The liners are pristine. I don’t know whether the Canadian government followed the American War Bond policy but I doubt it.

Hi there

Thank you for your very informative answers.

If I understand correctly, all mint mod15 helmets (or new from stock) are not all from the famous "war bonts helmets". I learned something today...

I had read that several German stores had been looted by American soldiers to be repatriated to the USA:

it was during the occupation of Koblenz in December 1918 that they got their hands on the depots of the Prussian VIII Corps, including in particular large quantities of spiked helmets. The American Committee for War Loans then set aside and shipped the thousands of rifles and approximately 20,000 spiked helmets, intended to promote subscription to the 5th War Loan in May 1919, the Bonds Helmets

These helmets were distributed in schools, administrations, families who kept them piously until now....

If you know someone (seller or collector) who sells mod15 mint helmets (and you are not interested). Please consider me and I would like to have a few mod 15 mint helmets in my collection if possible.

I thank you all and wish you a good day

According to the book In A Strange Land, The American occupation Of Germany 1918-1923:

"When 87,500 German helmets were uncovered in a local depot, they were quickly boxed up and sent to the Adjutant General Of The Army in Washington for distribution as part of the Fifth Liberty Loan."

I believe the vast majority of M15 helmets in existence are survivors from this trove.

Hi there

Thank you for your very informative answers.

If I understand correctly, all mint mod15 helmets (or new from stock) are not all from the famous "war bonts helmets". I learned something today...

I had read that several German stores had been looted by American soldiers to be repatriated to the USA:

it was during the occupation of Koblenz in December 1918 that they got their hands on the depots of the Prussian VIII Corps, including in particular large quantities of spiked helmets. The American Committee for War Loans then set aside and shipped the thousands of rifles and approximately 20,000 spiked helmets, intended to promote subscription to the 5th War Loan in May 1919, the Bonds Helmets

These helmets were distributed in schools, administrations, families who kept them piously until now....

If you know someone (seller or collector) who sells mod15 mint helmets (and you are not interested). Please consider me and I would like to have a few mod 15 mint helmets in my collection if possible.

I thank you all and wish you a good day
It appears that they may have a nail hole in the back visor ?
Those of you who own them , please give a report
Thanks
Steve
Steve

Hello

I had a Prussian helmet with a hook and it came from the USA.

Since I no longer have and I regret it...img_2527 (2).jpgimg_2530 (2).jpg

The one that I owned did not have any hook or wire loop on it for hanging. There was also no hole in the rear visor. Regarding the M15 above in my opinion, there is too much sweat stain on the liner for this to be a bond helmet. The liners on BH’s have very little to none of this.

Back