A tiny silver tschapka

USMC-EOD

Hi,

I acquired this tiny silver uhlan tschapka recently from an old collection. I asked James LeBrassuer about it and what his thoughts were, and he recommended that I post it here.

It is made of silver and has three tiny European hallmarks and a number "800" which I assume to show it's silver purity content.

The markings are on the left side behind the cockades and chinscales.

This is made in multi-piece construction, with the chinscales, cockades and feldzeichen (spelling?) All having been attached separately during it's manufacture.

The helmet appears to be professionally made by a silver smith purposely, rather than as a piece of trench art made by a soldier.

My first thought was that this could be a piece of the table setting for a specific unit's officer's mess. A unique piece at each table setting. Oddly enough, it can hold about one shot of whiskey as well, if it is to be flipped over, filled up, and used in a toast. Don't ask me how I figured this out...

I have seen this type of thing (though not nearly as extravagant as little silver helmets!) in the Marines at Regimental Officer's Mess Nights, where the Regiment's silver and china is pulled out for this type of formal dinner.

Do any of the more seasoned collectors here know exactly what this is?

It is very cool looking, and it presents well inside one of my helmet cases with cavalry helmets inside. Your thoughts would be appreciated!

Bryan.

Attachments

• 20221106_011711.jpg
    20221106_011711.jpg
    547.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 20221106_011711.jpg
    20221106_011711.jpg
    547.4 KB · Views: 26
Very nice piece! This was part of a gift for an officers. Actually small liquor cups that were filled up and placed upside down. Often there were several pieces that were separated over time.

So pour in some Schnapps and cheers!

GardeUlan

Attachments

• 394AA9DB-0BD4-44FC-BBC6-B2D7D3CA2BF2.jpeg
    394AA9DB-0BD4-44FC-BBC6-B2D7D3CA2BF2.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 23
I love this site!

I knew the interior made it look like it might be used as a drinking vessel.

Thank you Garde Uhlan! Fantastic explanation.

We're these made during a certain period?

Well…..yet again something I have never seen or even knew existed! Thank you all for these photos. 👍

I love this site!

I knew the interior made it look like it might be used as a drinking vessel.

Thank you Garde Uhlan! Fantastic explanation.

We're these made during a certain period?

Most of these little silver Tschapkas were made in the two decades before the 1st World War.

Best wishes,

GardeUlan

Thank you.

It will be even cooler now sitting in the case with the tschapkas.

I really appreciate your input.

Bryan.

Thanks Khukri.

I had just assumed this little silver tschapka was a part of some Uhlan unit's Regimental Mess service set.

The screw turns!

I wonder who the original maker was on these?

An interesting and eye-catching little item for the helmet shelf, though.

I might take it up to the local VFW on Friday for the Marine Corps Birthday, and get liquered-up drinking shots with the guys. That would fun.

Thanks Khukri.

I had just assumed this little silver tschapka was a part of some Uhlan unit's Regimental Mess service set.

The screw turns!

I wonder who the original maker was on these?

An interesting and eye-catching little item for the helmet shelf, though.

I might take it up to the local VFW on Friday for the Marine Corps Birthday, and get liquered-up drinking shots with the guys. That would fun.
Enjoy.

Hi,

I acquired this tiny silver uhlan tschapka recently from an old collection. I asked James LeBrassuer about it and what his thoughts were, and he recommended that I post it here.

It is made of silver and has three tiny European hallmarks and a number "800" which I assume to show it's silver purity content.

The markings are on the left side behind the cockades and chinscales.

This is made in multi-piece construction, with the chinscales, cockades and feldzeichen (spelling?) All having been attached separately during it's manufacture.

The helmet appears to be professionally made by a silver smith purposely, rather than as a piece of trench art made by a soldier.

My first thought was that this could be a piece of the table setting for a specific unit's officer's mess. A unique piece at each table setting. Oddly enough, it can hold about one shot of whiskey as well, if it is to be flipped over, filled up, and used in a toast. Don't ask me how I figured this out...

I have seen this type of thing (though not nearly as extravagant as little silver helmets!) in the Marines at Regimental Officer's Mess Nights, where the Regiment's silver and china is pulled out for this type of formal dinner.

Do any of the more seasoned collectors here know exactly what this is?

It is very cool looking, and it presents well inside one of my helmet cases with cavalry helmets inside. Your thoughts would be appreciated!

Bryan.
Bryan,

You might be able to track down the maker and maybe the year based on the hallmarks
Nice find.
Cheers
Dennis

Very interesting thread, very cool but not unexpected. I imagine that jewelers near garrisons would produce something like this for the local regiment.
Best regards
John

Back