A very colonial day--and vote!

The most important question is the horse stuffed?

• Yes--stuffed horse

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • No--alive horse

Votes: 12 57.1%

• Total voters
These ones they did not manage to colonize:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-NATIVE-AMERICAN-INDIAN-PRUSSIAN-EAGLE-HELMET-WILD-WEST-CIRCUS-PHOTO-/130620824875?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e699b9d2b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Joe, those are all great, especially the Askari's..

911 Car, I wonder if this photo might have been part of Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show, it always amazes me that Sitting Bull himself traveled with and was part of his show for a time. Those mounted warriors sure look like the real deal.

Excellent suggestion, Larmo.
Are there any other known documents showing german soldiers taking part in Buffalo Bill's show?

What a thrilling picture, Buffalo Bill did have Arabs and all kinds of folks in his show. But a fully dressed Prussian Gardekürassier?

The riders is evidently attempting to take French leave from the battle at the Waterberg taking place to the left (as the sign tells). The horse may be stuffed because it is evidently refusing to leave the battlefield.

Are there any other known documents showing german soldiers taking part in Buffalo Bill's show?

Interesting you ask, and my explanantion began as a bit of a stretch. While visiting Bisbee Arizona for our anniversary I happened to notice a TV in the lobby of the Copper Queen Hotel playing a movie about Annie Oakley with Barbara Stanwick playing the part.

In one scene Annie is shown with a group of German Army officers during Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show tour in Europe. One of the officers volunteered to allow Annie to shoot a lighted cigarette from his mouth.

I did a google search for Annie Oakley to get the dates of her time with the Wild West Show and it specifically mentioned this incident with the volunteer being Crown Prince Wilhelm no less :eek: :eek: Here's the link http://www.lkwdpl.org/wihohio/oakl-ann.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Joe, I vote the horse is real

Larmo

There is the a rumor that after outbreak of WWI she sent a telegram to Wilhelm II asking for a second shot. :D

There is the a rumor that after outbreak of WWI she sent a telegram to Wilhelm II asking for a second shot. :D

Robert, that was great :thumb up: :thumb up: I'm still laughing :D

Larry

Great photos, Joe! I reckon the horse with the DSWA Schutztruppe Reiter is alive but it's touch and go... the East African askari below is identified in "Die Kaiserliche Schutz- und Polizeitruppe für Afrika" by Reinhard Schneider as Schausch Imbarag Ali. The soldiers below are from the Cameroon Schutztruppe and the Seebatallion Seesoldat looks great too.

Cheers
Chris

Hey Joe,
The horse must be alive, if it was stuffed, they would have properly trimmed its hooves, and you can see the the left front hoof is conforming to the unevenness of the ground, something that a stuffed horse would not do.
Best
Gus

I really hate to say this but it really doesn't matter what you or I think. What about Janet and Maggie. Those are the important votes. :p

Both the horse and soldier are dead by now anyway so I vote stuffed to both :wink:

ScrappyTexan said:
You can tell he's stuffed. He's been eating the leaves on the trees and there is plainly hay on the ground.
There is no hay on the ground, that is dirt, and the rider is holding his head up in the classic European way.

Did anyone notice the cool water bag hanging off the saddle bag? It is made of canvas so that the water will keep it wet to cool the contents, it used to be that every one had a water bag like that in these parts.
Best
Gus

Real horse...he is listening to the rider..(I've never seen a stuffed horse with his ears anywhere but forward). I must have seen the picture a few minutes after Janet...he has eaten all traces of the hay. The face of the rider and his body posture is calming to the horse, and he is also tense because he knows that when that stupid flash goes off he is in for a rodeo.

I voted for a real horse, although I don't know nothing about horses. But it is difficult for me to imagine that a stuffed horse would be strong enough to carry a person.

Regards,

Edwin

Indigenous police forces - German New Guinea – Deutsch Neuguinea, the Security Assistance Force in Finschhafen, postal unused, published by famous German navy photographer Drüppel in Wilhelmshaven after WW1 with the number KM: 3915 (Kaiserliche Marine)

Note from the back kindly translated by Alpenkorps
Neu Guinea

240 000 square kilometers
300 000 inhabitans
466 whites
348 Germans

ps1831 by joerookery, on Flickr

Nice pic Joe!

They appear to be part of the original Melanesian police force raised by the German New Guinea Company. Note the brown kepi caps with large Imperial cockades on the front. This kepi was replaced from about 1902 with a peaked cap with small cockade.

Here's a later photo with the peaked cap and a kahki uniform worn in bad weather-

Deutsch-Neuguinea-Rekruten.jpg

Cheers
Chris

Back